CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 deville trunk leak?

I bought an 02 deville about a month ago. everytime it rains or after i wash the car water leaks onto the back bumper. this occurs for a day or two after it rains or i wash the car. it looks like its coming out of the trunk and dripping down the back bumper. and whatever is in the water is staining my back bumper and it takes some elbow grease to get the "stain" off. this is happening on the driver side of the car.

By chance is it by the panel with the license plate and lights? Water is not able to flow out. Sometimes dirt gets into places and restricts flow out.

Welcome to Caddyinfo Forum

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

By chance is it by the panel with the license plate and lights? Water is not able to flow out. Sometimes dirt gets into places and restricts flow out.

Welcome to Caddyinfo Forum

no. its leaking right by the driver side taillight,under where it says 32V northstar. image.jpg

There should be 3-4 drains in the bottom edge of the deck lid....they must be clogged or plugged off.

In the picture you can see 3 drains toward the bottom edge of the trunk lid (top of picture).

post-2-0-57040100-1414882686_thumb.jpg

nice pics. that is what I meant. there are slits. Check your doors too while you are at it

GM FAN FOREVER

It's actually sort of hard to find a picture of trunk lid drains...I guess not a popular subject.

Not a lot of water flowing thru a decklid...some....but not much. Not sure why yours would be plugged. Maybe the drains were plugged off by someone with good intentions.

Leaves, grease, dirt, rust proofing, can plug them up...but it's kinda rare.

I found three drains and all three were plugged. i took the plugs out,hopefully that fixes my problem

What do you mean you removed the plugs? Was there debris in the drains or factory rubber plugs?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I found three drains and all three were plugged. i took the plugs out,hopefully that fixes my problem

What do you mean you removed the plugs? Was there debris in the drains or factory rubber plugs?

no debris. there was some kind of caulk or sealant around the plugs. i need to put them back in right?

edit: when putting the plugs in i noticed the right side of the third brake light is loose. inside the trunk it is as tight as it will go though. that may be the source of the leak as well

The ends of the Deville third brake light are known to pop up. Common problem. The housing actually cracks....so you really cant tighten it up.

I no longer have my Deville...but I dont think there is suppose to be any type of plugs or sealer in the drains.

I did find a picture of a inner Deville deck lid. The drains are clear.

post-2-0-77396500-1415016936_thumb.jpg

the drains are kind of oval, should not be sealed shut.

There are a few reasons why they could be sealed shut.

The panel has been repaired and they were sealed.

someone may have thought that they werent drain holes and sealed them.

The brake light is very likely the source of the internal leak because it really shouldnt have anymore than condensation inside the lid.

GM FAN FOREVER

I checked my '05 Deville deck lid last night - there are two small bumpers that are 3-4" in from each end at the lowest point on the deck lid - they can be seen in Logan's photo. The rest of the drain holes were open - no rubber plugs, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

I just pulled the whole rubber seal off, put down contact cement on trunk bonding area and on old seal seat. Waited about 15 minutes, put it all back on and no leaks for @20 months. 100 car washes, Pacific Northwest rain, no leaks. The carpet only gets wet when I open the trunk to get my golf clubs.

Archived