CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Annoying sound source finally found

I have had this really annoying sound for years. It was a tapping/knocking sound only manifesting itself with the engine warm and only at idle and after about 1 minute of idle too. It originated from somewhere at the front of the engine area. I found out that the sound disappeared with the AC-compressor off and thought it was the problem until I discovered that it returned with vehicle in gear. Even with the AC off! Ok, so now what? I checked the accessories and everything seemed just fine except from perhaps a small axial play in the AC-compressor bearings but I was almost certain that the AC was fine. I tried to listen with a stethoscope and tried from underneath but could not locate the sound at all. Finally I came to the conclusion that there has to be something vibrating, like the engine oil cooler line, a loose fan shroud or something like that. The sound was usually gone when I put the car on a jack to add to the complexity. The sound did not get progressively worse and could be gone for weeks so I was certain that it really wasn't anything mechanical. This kept on going and was extremely annoying and slightly embarrassing because I always do all the work on my car (I have only visited repair shops twice since 1992). The other day I had to replace the left rear brake line and after the test drive I noticed that the sound was gone! I guess that one of the brake lines were close enough to the sub-frame to make contact with the right amount of heat and vibrations. Now I can finally get some peace ;)

It is usually only we, the owners and enthusiasts, who notices the strange sounds and feelings. It's always like this:

"Wait, what was that sound"

"What sound? I can't hear anything unusual"

"That knocking sound"

"Aren't they supposed to sound like that?" :wacko:

It is usually only we, the owners and enthusiasts, who notices the strange sounds and feelings. It's always like this:

"Wait, what was that sound"

"What sound? I can't hear anything unusual"

"That knocking sound"

"Aren't they supposed to sound like that?" :wacko:

That sounds just about right.... LOL

Posted Image

I had the same problem with my 87 442 and I finally figured out it was the rubber bumper stop under the hood near the cowl. I thought it was in the dash the whole time.. :blink:

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Archived