CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

428 Cobra Jet Cougar Eliminator vs Chevelle SS396 - 1/4 mile Dr

http://www.RoadTestTV.com 1/4 mile drag race between a rare 1970 Cougar Eliminator powered by the legendary 428 Cobra Jet big block and a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 powered by the high winding solid lifter L78 396 rated at 375 horsepower. The Cobra Jet Cougar is 1 of only 182 428 CJ 4 speeds produced in 1970. The L78 Chevelle is also rare as it is 1 of only 1487 turbo 400 L78 Chevelle's built in 1969.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

It's hard to predict what a classic muscle car will be able to do. The 375 hp 396 was probably a hydraulic lifter engine from the factory, for example. The Ford 428 was a torquey street engine but not a real quarter-mile performer as delivered from the factory. Neither was remotely capable of turning in the 12's as they came from the factory. You could see the custom aluminum valve covers in the Chevelle.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

For the Cougar, representative times were closer to 13.8 sec at 102.a mph per Car Craft as quoted here: http://www.musclecarfacts.com/classic-car-articles/96-cougar-statistics

or 14.1 sec at 103 mph per http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/classic-muscle-cars/1969-mercury-cougar.htm

Just how fast was a stock 1969 L78 Chevelle right out of the box? Hot Cars magazine tested one in their February 1969 issue, recording a 14.07/101 mph.

I would rather see Road Test TV do actual stock side by side tests, unless what we are seeing is stock cars with modern racing slick tires? That would not effect the mph so much as the et though, and both of these ran 7-10 mph faster than one might expect.
The simple solution of course would be to state the exact preparation for each car.

Bruce

L-78: produced 1965-9, had 800 cfm Holley carburetor, 11:1 compression, forged pop-top pistons, aluminum high-rise intake manifold, steel crankshaft, solid lifter cam (same as the L-72, rectangular ("square") port closed chamber heads, and four-bolt main caps.

It produced 375 hp in mid-size cars, 425 hp in Corvettes...

Posted Image

Ah, this is the lifter-clattering 396. I thought that it was rated at 400 hp in the Chevelle; it was only sold for one year in the Corvette (1965) so I'm not that familiar with that particular engine. The published horsepower is BS as Texas Jim hints. I don't now what the 396 "425 hp" engine puts out, but it's only 7.8% down in cubic inches from a 427, and the "425 hp" 427 was known to put out in excess of 460 hp, I believe; Texas Jim may have a better number. But you had better have the side pipes; that motor with the street under-car exhaust did not perform up to expectations because it needs an open exhaust to breathe.

I believe that the car mags put my 1966 "390 hp" 427 Corvette through the traps in about 13.4 seconds. I can believe the best of the street muscle cars turning in the thirteens. The twelves? Not in a car driven to the track. Amazingly, the wheels, tires and hub caps of these cars look like street or even show parts. Also, the suspension of the Chevelle is visibly so loose that control on launch and through the first part of second gear is a little tense. So, whatever the preparation, these are apparently drivable cars. With the times posted in the video, both sets of owners/drivers/cars were winners that day.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

That was a great bite on that battle-slicked quarter-mile track. The wheelie was on the edge of forcing a throttle-back. He needs a wheelie bar in case he has a really good day.

That was a great bite on that battle-slicked quarter-mile track. The wheelie was on the edge of forcing a throttle-back. He needs a wheelie bar in case he has a really good day.

I have been telling him that...LOL

Posted Image

Along the wheelie line of conversation. My uncle from SE Kansas, according to his mother, received $1000 for pulling the first wheelie at MOKAN dragway in SW Missouri, back in the 60's with one of the altered wheel base dodges. I have seen pics of the bumper dragging the ground sparking! Also a trophy that stands chest high from that car, unknown reason for trophy. Ted Detar if anyone knew of him.

MOKAN DRAGWAY BACK IN THE DAY.......EARLY 60'S PIX

Read more: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mokan-dragway-back-in-the-day-early-60s-pix.109388/

Bruce

Archived