CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good evening to all,

Well, I have been thinking about not bringing this one to the forum, but what the heck... YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! My '99 STS moon roof has been acting strangely for two years. It has never stopped working, so I have just let it ride. Today, it did it again, and since Cadillac Jim solved my last strange request in seconds, I thought I would be a fool to not bring this one up... Sometimes, the factory moon roof will not slide back using the normal button. The normal slide back and forth switch does nothing. It does, however, slide back when I press the close button for the venting of the roof! The venting button takes over for the normal slide back button, while the slide back switch does nothing. It will act this way until I turn the key off, but sometimes it will do it again after I re-start he car as well. Today I thought maybe this is something caused by a simple blown fuse... any thoughts???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Ohio Jim

If you were referring to the valet switch... that was me...LOL

If the sunroof works... it isn't a fuse.

If the fuse was blown, it wouldn't work at all.

I would think it is a grounding issue in the wiring,or maybe the relay is getting flaky.

It is also possible that the two wires that go to the two separate switches have chafed and are shorting out against each other.

Posted Image

Is it a oem astroroof or a dealer add on unit?

They are setup different in a few ways.

Does it happen to leak at all. Maybe water got into the switch and is messing with the connections

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Texas Jim,

My apologies for getting your name wrong. I thought to verify it at the time, but failed to do so. At least you have a beautiful Cadillac! I thought of a fuse because maybe one blown fuse would cause the current to flow through another route??? I can barely spell electrician, I'm not an electrician, so I was just grasping at straws... I will need to get to the switch wiring, but I am afraid to break the panel taking it apart. I guess no time better than the present. If a relay was getting flaky, how would you determine that? Should I try switching a like relay and see if it happens again?

rockfangd,

The roof is a factory installation, as far as I know. There has been a leak issue for quite some time. The water ends up by the battery, under the back seat. When I researched solving that, it looked like the work would be out of my league. The headliner needs to come down, and that appears to be no easy task. I need to figure how to get the interior post covers off first.

Thank you gentlemen,

I will post more when I get the roof apart. I still have the console apart from the last fix, which was taking out the cup holder.

Ohio Jim

Texas Jim,

My apologies for getting your name wrong. I thought to verify it at the time, but failed to do so. At least you have a beautiful Cadillac! I thought of a fuse because maybe one blown fuse would cause the current to flow through another route??? I can barely spell electrician, I'm not an electrician, so I was just grasping at straws... I will need to get to the switch wiring, but I am afraid to break the panel taking it apart. I guess no time better than the present. If a relay was getting flaky, how would you determine that? Should I try switching a like relay and see if it happens again?

rockfangd,

The roof is a factory installation, as far as I know. There has been a leak issue for quite some time. The water ends up by the battery, under the back seat. When I researched solving that, it looked like the work would be out of my league. The headliner needs to come down, and that appears to be no easy task. I need to figure how to get the interior post covers off first.

Thank you gentlemen,

I will post more when I get the roof apart. I still have the console apart from the last fix, which was taking out the cup holder.

Ohio Jim

If you find the relay for the sunroof and you have another one JUST LIKE IT... yes, try switching them out and see what happens.

If it stays the same, you know it wasn't the relay... if it fixes the problem, you know it WAS the relay.... LOL

Then get a new relay and replace the one you swapped.

Check the roof drains where they empty out by the real wheel... if they are stopped up, it will cause the water to back up and then overflow and leak.

Also.... open the sunroof and run a stiff piece of weed trimmer string down thru the drains to dislodge anything that may be stuck in it.

There is a drain at each corner of the sunroof.

Posted Image

good to know, the leak may be causing your problem. Water may be getting somewhere it shouldnt. I agree on the headliner. My Seville has a moonroof and it has made the headliner sag in the back. drives me nuts. I am not too crazy about them.

GM FAN FOREVER

rockfangd,

I thought the sagging headliner was due to water leaking from the sunroof drains. I have tried to clean out he drains, to no avail. I cannot quite get behind the sagging sunroof to see what's going on. Thought I may use my phone to video it. My battery compartment used to hold water, til I pulled the vent tube and made it a drain. I agree, the sagging headliner really bothers me when driving....Cadillac's aren't supposed to be like that, are they??

Ohio Jim

Did you find the four drain holes at each corner of the sunroof?

Did you try running a piece of weed whacker string down thru them ??

I think that the two on the rear drains out by your wheel wells.

You should be able to see them from outside the car... no need to take the headliner out.

Posted Image

No not typically. I think my headliner sags because of the poor dealer installed moonroof mine has. I think there is a gap between the moonroof and the headliner and wind gets under it and causes it to pull away from the backing. I wish I could fix mine. First caddy I ever bought with a sagging headliner. I might add the headliner is mint and does not sag anywhere but behind the moonroof

GM FAN FOREVER

rockfangd,

I thought the sagging headliner was due to water leaking from the sunroof drains. I have tried to clean out he drains, to no avail. I cannot quite get behind the sagging sunroof to see what's going on. Thought I may use my phone to video it. My battery compartment used to hold water, til I pulled the vent tube and made it a drain. I agree, the sagging headliner really bothers me when driving....Cadillac's aren't supposed to be like that, are they??

Ohio Jim

You really need to eliminate the source of the water intrusion and reconnect the battery vent tubes - by disconnecting them, acid fumes from the battery will eat away at the seatbelts and rear seat. Follow Texas Jim's post on the sunroof drains.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree. I am glad mine does not leak and my battery is under the hood

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived