CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rare L88 427 Corvette vs Olds 442 W30 - 1/4 Mile Drag Race

Not certain how stock these two really are, but shared as presented.

http://www.RoadTestTV.com 1/4 mile drag race between an ultra rare 1969 L88 Corvette which powered by a 430 Horsepower 427 solid lifter big block and a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 powered by the factory blue-printed W30 455 rated at 300 horsepower in 1972. The L88 Corvette is 1 of only 116 produced in 1969. The 442 W30 is also rare as it is 1 of only 772 built.

Road Test TV - We Live Hi Performance!

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I gave a nod to the L-88 Vette (prior to seeing the video), was glad I wasn't disappointed in the outcome. I believe the L-88 (no matter what the hp claim from the manufacturer) was in reality around 500, and in a lighter car, I expected it to beat the Olds (no disrespect, the Olds did well, too). I too wonder, what if any, mods were given to either/or/both vehicle(s).

Thanks for sharing Bruce.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

The times presented, about 12.0 seconds, put them in the same ball park as the best showroom stock CTS-V sedans. The Olds seemed to get more bite and the Corvette seemed to be geared a bit higher probably because his Muncie was likely a close-ratio, whereas the wide box is better for the quarter mile (the wide ratio is 3rd to 4th). But at the end the Corvette had 8 mph speed advantage over the Olds, indicating a higher horsepower to weight ratio.

Both cars appeared to be street rides.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.