CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 deville noise and vibration at 18 mph

98 deville with 203k miles has slight thumping sound and slight vibration that's worst at about 18 mph but is still there faster. .I've replaced the tires with no change, don't hear any funny noises from the wheel bearings. also put the front end on jack stands and ran it up to about 40 without hearing or feeling anything unusual. Anyone got any ideas on where to look? thanks

Check the tie rod ends and ball joints.

thanks, I did check the ball joints they looked ok, I'll check the tie rods tomorrow, It does seem to be something in the drive train that changes with road speed.

Check the tie rod ends and ball joints.

thanks, I did check the ball joints they looked ok, I'll check the tie rods tomorrow, It does seem to be something in the drive train that changes with road speed.

It may be a CV joint that is going bad. Does the car make a clicking noise from the front end when turning corners?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wonder if it could be play in the bearing where the cv axle goes into the tranny. being over 200k miles. My Deville had some up and down play in the tranny at the shaft. Didnt leak though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

thanks for the help, the axles going into the transmission are solid, however I did find that the left axle has a little play in the joint next to the transmission. how hard of a job is it to replace the axle?

not too bad. I just did the right one on my 96 deville. Hardest part was popping she shaft out of the transmission.

Remove axle nut.

pop tie rod off knuckle.

pop balljoint from knuckle.

Pull cv shaft from back of hub

tie knuckle aside.

cv shaft must be popped out of the transmission.

there is a shaft clip to retain the axle. you must make sure the new shaft clicks into the shaft to ensure it is seated properly.

Mine took me about 1 hour

GM FAN FOREVER

not too bad. I just did the right one on my 96 deville. Hardest part was popping she shaft out of the transmission.

Remove axle nut.

pop tie rod off knuckle.

pop balljoint from knuckle.

Pull cv shaft from back of hub

tie knuckle aside.

cv shaft must be popped out of the transmission.

there is a shaft clip to retain the axle. you must make sure the new shaft clicks into the shaft to ensure it is seated properly.

Mine took me about 1 hour

thanks, does it take a special tool to remove the axle from the hub, or do they just slide out?

thanks for the help, the axles going into the transmission are solid, however I did find that the left axle has a little play in the joint next to the transmission. how hard of a job is it to replace the axle?

The "play" might be the sleeve bearing in the transmission that supports the axle shaft. The CV joint will have some movement in it. I don't think I'd replace the axle at this point.

Are the CV boots good (not ripped inside the convolutions)? Usually if the boots are in good shape, the CV joint will be good. When the boots crack, water and road dirt/debris will get into the CV joint and destroy it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

usually the shaft just slides out of the hub but sometimes it needs some persuasion

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

turned out that the front rotors were warped, odd you couldn't feel it in the brake pedal, that got rid of the low speed vibration, but now have a slight vibration at highway speeds.

turned out that the front rotors were warped, odd you couldn't feel it in the brake pedal, that got rid of the low speed vibration, but now have a slight vibration at highway speeds.

Perhaps the calipers were sticking and making the brakes drag just a tiny bit, which with slightly warped disks would cause the problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived