CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car Collector Corner: Cadillac V-12 and V-16 engines

Bruce Nunnally

A bit cursory but a quick discussion of the Cadillac V-12 and V-16 engines:

Q: Greg, I enjoyed your article about Studebaker being the first non "Big Three" (GM-Ford-Chrysler) independent to build an overhead valve V8. I'm a Cadillac fan, and want your input as to their huge V-16 engines that were around in the 1930 era. Thanks for the interesting columns. Harry L., Baltimore, MD.

A: Read More Here

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Good read, but he had a typo about the CTS V... He called it both turbocharged and supercharged... LOL

today's turbocharged, CTS-V that puts out 556 supercharged horsepower from just 6.2-liters

Posted Image

I tell people that seem clueless that mine is a four cylinder with an Eaton carburetor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You would be amazed how many people say about my car, "oh yeah the one with the vette motor".. Maybe i should tell them its both turbo and supercharged, with an eaton carb. Then it would be as fast as yours Jim.

The XLR-V and STS-V have a much more sophisticated engine with a far higher specific output, and they use a lot more smarts to get it. See Bruce's thread on the cam timing and spark maps that he runs with his STS-V tuning efforts.

The LSA has a very mild cam, timing wise, with very high lift but no VVT. With no boost, it runs like a very mild V8, such as a truck engine, and its idle exhaust note is a perfectly smooth hum, like a four cylinder or inline six, a bit loud because it must have large pipes and mufflers to let out the 556 hp when the time comes. Rating of 556 hp is a specific output of about 80 hp/l.

The XLR-V and STS-V with the LC-3 produce just over 100 hp/l (443 hp for the XLR-V) or 106.6 (469 hp for the STS-V). The higher specific output is achieved through appropriate cam designs with separate VVT curves on the intake and exhaust cams. I don't recall Bruce's exhaust note but I do expect that in a stock system it will have a smooth note like that of the LSA and that the Borla cat-back system will not introduce any of the exhaust note unevenness that we associate with old iron bow-tie V8's with dual exhaust.

I do think that you can get away with calling your LC3 a four cylinder with an Eaton carburetor too. If someone calls it a Corvette motor, nod your head and talk about 3.9 liters and three side-draft Carter carburetors and dual exhaust; this describes the 1953-1955 Corvette six (really 1953-1954, only six were sold in 1955 before the V8's queued up to the assembly line). That bad boy put out 155 hp through it's "two in the glue" Powerglide transmission.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived