CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 deville a/c issues

Hello all,

Just changed the a/c compressor,oriface tube, and accumulator on our 99 Deville. Pulled a 30 micron vacuum for 1 hour and held it for 30 minutes before charging the system with 2lbs of 134a. The a/c instantly worked fine and even with a 30 minute test drive it was great. After about 2 hours we decided to drive to the grocery store and the a/c started up and all of a sudden quit and on the message center it read "Service A/C System". Can anyone tell me what went wrong and what I can check to fix it. BTW, all components were new and I work on commercial HVAC systems for a living. This was mt first try at automotive a/c work and it might very well be my last.

Your car has a bunch of sensors on the A/C and a computer that checks them and uses them to respond to the dashboard controls and operate the compressor, air temperature doors, fan, etc., AND to detect problems. Your car's air conditioning module (ACM) detected a problem, and that's why it shut down the A/C and that's why you have a message.

You can read out the computer's trouble codes by turning on the key and, on the A/C section of the console, pressing <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for a few seconds until the dash lights up like you just turned on the key. Then, release both buttons and watch the car's computer cycle through all the modules and give you the trouble codes. They will be of the form

ACM B1348 CURRENT

The first three letters are the module that threw the code, the letter and four numbers are the trouble code, and each code will be followed by HISTORY or CURRENT, depending on whether the code is being detected at the time.

Write the codes down and post them here. We can interpret them for you and tell you why you are getting the message and the A/C was turned off, and probably how to fix it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

There should have been a more detailed message on the information center. Please post the ACM codes and that will point in the right direction.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thank you for the replies. I checked today in the ACM and the code it shows is B1315. I tried erasing it but it comes right back when the A/C comes on. Hope you all can point me in the right direction.

I will bet the orifice tube was installed backwards and when the connection was tightened, it damaged the low side temp sensor. The long side of the orifice tube needs to point toward the condenser (the driver's side of the car).

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived