CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

air bag

airmike

The air bag connectors are extremely small....chances are they will be damaged if you attempt to back probe them.

The real problem is verifying that the inner rotating section is clocked properly to the vehicle.

There are different SIR coils depending on year and options. A heated steering wheel is a good example. It will have additional circuits in the ribbon.

I attached a picture of what I think happened to yours...snapped ribbon inside.

post-2-0-82678300-1375355116_thumb.jpg

I second Logan's advice on buying a new one vs. the junkyard part. The shop manual has a warning about locking the steering wheel/column and not allowing it to rotate. There is a specific installation/calibration procedure as well.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Do not install a used one. The way a clockspring works is there is a ribbon inside it which allows the wheel to be turned a certain amount left and right without breaking the ribbon.

with a used one unless it is still on the donor vehicle and you set both yours and the donor to the exact same spot it will break.

Basically as small as 1 rotation will break the ribbon.

Example. Your wheel is straight and your wheels are straight means that clockspring is in complete center location.

Used one may be 1 rotation off and the wheel is straight. So you would never know where the center location is.

You have definately found your culprit though, Make sure you pay close attention when installing the new clockspring.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Well you guys have convinced me. Thanks for the info. I am currently beyond busy so it will have to stay like it is for a period of time. New 40x80 shop goes up Mon., rental house in shambles and being a tightwad I gotta do all I can at the shop to save a dollar. At least I have my sts to drive these days. I may get back to you all in a few months when I hope to get back to it. Thank you!!!

Archived