CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Muscle Cars on a Dyno -- How would the old cars do today?

Super Chevy Magazine:

Chevrolet Muscle Car Dyno Wars

We Wanted To See What Yesterday's Classics Make On A State-Of-The-Art Chassis Dyno

When you read this and future stories in the series, keep in mind that prior to '72, GM rated its horsepower and torque in gross numbers-that's an engine on a dyno with no accessories hooked up, open headers, and maximized carb and ignition tuning. Some of the numbers on the following pages may surprise you, but we present them strictly for the sake of science.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Years after I moved on from my 1990 Pontiac Grand AM GT with the 2.3 liter Quad 4 HO rated at 180 hp, I found that it's Car & Driver 0-60 mph time, 7.5 seconds, was the same as that of the 283 cid/283 hp fuel-injected 1957 Corvette with four speed manual transmission.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It also explains a lot of observations that I have made myself over the years, and also many things that I have heard.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

CTS-V wagon vs Yenko Chevelle: Chevelle leads from the hole but not at the end. Wagon with pulley & CAI putting 533 whp. Skip to 1:12 for actual quarter.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived