CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

foggy drivers rearview mirror

tuts

The drviers ouitside rearview mirror has gone all foggy and I was wondering if it is heat activated as it seems to semi clear when the defrost is activated. Is this a common occurence and I wonder what the fix is. Thanks in advance boys.

I have not had the problem.... yet, but have heard of it. I believe it has to do with the heating element damaging the photocromatic (auto dimming) glass, maybe from exccessive use. The fix I believe is replacement.

Yep, you have to replace the glass. I haven't priced one on the Caddy yet, but when I had my Mark VIII the dealer price for a new heated/auto-dimming glass was $400! I'm sure the General isn't too far from that price point. I even tried junkyards, but every car I found had the glass bad.

Charles

Charles

The drivers outside rearview mirror has gone all foggy  . . .

Dunno about "foggy," but mine is yellow. Works good at night. B)

I always thought it was a "feature." Now youse tell me it's a "bug." Oh well, I can live with it.

Regards,

Warren :unsure:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That is true, but the replacement glass at that price is just a mirror...no heat, and no auto-dimming. Mine is gold-colored and has stopped dimming. They have a sort of blue tint to them before they start to go bad...every one I see at the junkyard is already golden. :(

Charles

Charles

If you are patient, keep checking Ebay. You can usually find one for $20-$50, and that is usually the whole housing. I found 2 extra for my 94 Concours. Dealer will want $250-300 to replace. The stick on will work in a pinch but the glue used will eat through the new mirror eventually, at least that's what I was told by a glass person.

My outside (drivers) mirror started leaking and stopped auto dimming.

I replaced just the mirror unit. It was a couple years ago and I think it was about $ 75.00 from the dealer.

The part number is 03636623.

It comes with instructions on how to replace.

It "snaps" in place.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

The drivers outside rearview mirror has gone all foggy  . . .

Dunno about "foggy," but mine is yellow. Works good at night. B)

I always thought it was a "feature." Now youse tell me it's a "bug." Oh well, I can live with it.

Regards,

Warren :unsure:

Warren,

I think that "yellow" or goldish color you are talking about is normal. Yours is still in good shape.

$75.00???? Was that for just a plain mirror?

Charles

It was the correct replacement mirror from GM. (Auto dimming/heated)

Consists of the mirror section section (mirror/heater/housing).

It snaps onto the power adjusting mechanism. Kind of frightening to install, as you need to push really hard to get it to snap into place.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

$75.00???? Was that for just a plain mirror?

Charles

I just checked gmpartsdirect.com and that unit now costs, OUR PRICE: $141.32

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I tried that part number and wasn't able to find anything on gmpartsdirect. How did you find it? That is still a good price and I would like to order one.

Charles

I still have the box (with the old mirror in it) that I got the part number from.

It is 03636623 on the box.

To get that number to work in gmpartsdirect I had to drop the "0".

3636623 will work.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived