CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Automatic car wash for your garage?

Man's in-home car wash costs $30,000

KPHO| An inventor has developed an in-home automatic car wash. Affiliate KPHO reports on the bells, whistles and steep price.

I like this idea -- certainly as the price comes down it would be more attractive.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The difference between that and the dishwasher example is a couple of decimal points...

I didn't see anything that sprayed under the car - that would be useful for people in the salt belt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The price of $30K is about 1200 touchless car washes. If you don't have one within reasonable distance, or you really want to be able to wash the car when the weather is such that you don't want to drive to the car wash and back as in the salt belt example - particularly in a small town, it might make sense.

Two guys could get together and find the $67K needed to buy and install a touchless car wash machine and put it in a local commercial car wash, perhaps getting a cut of the gross as part of the deal.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have $600 invested in my garage heater plus the cost of installing hot & cold spigots for the garden hose. I did the installation work all myself so the only costs are the parts and supplies themselves.

During the winter, I wash my cars inside the garage and am able to hose off the undercarriage and all the places the slush likes to accumulate. Far cheaper than $30,000 for the in-garage automated car wash.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Do you have a floor drain in your garage? Mine does not.

The leaf blower plus microfiber towels would do well enough for drying.

I need a lot better lighting in my garage as well to see well enough to wash the car; that is probably a good start.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Do you have a floor drain in your garage? Mine does not.

The leaf blower plus microfiber towels would do well enough for drying.

I need a lot better lighting in my garage as well to see well enough to wash the car; that is probably a good start.

Yes - I have a floor drain with a dry well so it drains very well. I also have fluorescent lighting that I installed to replace the two 100 watt porcelain fixtures. The fluorescent fixtures are eight feet long but use four T-8 tubes. The 4' tubes are much easier to transport and store vs. 8' tubes.

The heater is a Modine Hot Dawg 45,000 BTU unit. It replaced a Reznor 100,000 BTU unit I have had for 15 years that was way too big for my garage. I really like the Hot Dawg unit - is is very quiet and it mounts 1" down from the ceiling and the unit itself is only 12" tall so the clearance is maximized.

Here is a link to the heater: http://www.modinehvac.com/v2portal/page/portal/hvac/hvacResidential

Modine and Reznor are the top brands of gas heaters. Dayton (marketed by Grainger) is also a good unit. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived