CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

alright 97 deville 4.6. I put 2 alernators in, checked battery 4xs an had to charge it every time, new belt, an still wont hold a charge. checked the grounds. lost can anyone find me? thanks

code IPC B 1910 left circuit open. where would i start on that? knw some say that aftermarket alernator the PMC wont read it or something along that. could that be the problem?

DTC B1910 generator L terminal open circuit.

This test is performed with the ignition switch in RUN, the engine speed less than 400 RPM, and the vehicle diagnosic system not activated. This DTC indicates an open circuit in the Generator L-Terminal feedback circuit. The generator grounds CKT 225 when the engine speed is less than 400 RPM and the ignition switch is in RUN.

DTC Will Set When:

Then IPC measures engine speed less than 400 RPM and determines that the L-Terminal circuit is open by sensing a high voltage condition at terminal A9.

It has been known in the past that aftermarket alternators will not work in some cases. Hard to tell if that is your issue or not.

Thanks for the info logan! just checked all the fuses, grounds all good but when i put the battery back in the volts was 14.5. i took out the headlamp relay. as i was driving it dropped quick to 12.5 an stayed. put it park an it jumped back up to 14.5. could it ba the battery cables? getting close but just can find the problem.

14.5 V is rather high (very close to being too high) and 12.5 V is a bit too low when driving (the system should keep the voltage a bit above 13 V, but for a short initial period right after start-up it should be slightly higher -- this is by design to keep the battery charge even when making short trips (higher initial voltage), but also not overcharge the battery on longer trips (the lower voltage after a while)).

Where the readings of 14.5 V always with the engine ON?

Did you get 12.5 V with the headlamp relay removed (so that the headlamps were OFF)?

What happens if you turn your headlamps on and off while monitoring the battery voltage? Does the voltage change a lot then (that could be an indication of a poor connection)?

just a thought but isnt there a splice or connection under the electrical canter cover (at left strut tower) that can lose connection and cause the code described? And also I dont recommend aftermarket alternators as they may not be designed as tight specs as the original which can cause problems

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The two Maxifuse blocks, the engine compartment fuse block and relay block, the fuel pump relay, and the A/C relay are under a plastic cover in front of the left strut tower. Most of the car is powered through those fuses and circuit breakers. I would have to check to see if one of them could cause the B1910.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks for the info. got the battery charged againe. check all the voltage from the alernator,battery.fuses. dont knw what i did but its holing charge now for a week now. its stay around 13.7 to 14.0. gonna check into the headlamp a little more had that fuse block replaced. thanks

Archived