CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 cadillac deville repair

hey gus, i just recently bought a 93 caddy deville with a 4.9 northstar in it, or atleast i think its a northstar. i did some research on the internet for my problems and i didnt quite get all of the questions answered. i found out how to check my error codes but what even brought me to this was trying to get my car to pass marta. it had 2100 HC's and like 8.8 co's. i got the hc's down to 500 but the co's are just staying there. the rear manifold is loose, i can smell gass, there is a misfire. it passed marta before my friend wrecked it and now its having issues. i bought it from him after the car was wrecked for 400 dollars, not too bad for a running car in my opinion. i bought a cap, rotor, ignition coil, o2 sensor, air filter, plugs, and wires for a start. i did the cap and rotor the other day and its running a lot better. any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated. im in Tennessee btw, just for marta info.

now when i went to check the codes i got a few codes, they appeared as follows; E44, E91, E97, E98.....then it said EE, E44, F10, F48...then FF, F10.....cant find any info on the F codes. i started to mess around with the high and low options and it let me toggle through 12 selections. E01-E12, now after each one it said E96. was trying to toggle through modes that i found off of another thread in this forum that i got this link from.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html#tro

im not a novice when it comes to cars. i work at a auto parts place and i have been working on cars for about 6 years now. so please dont be bashfull, if i dont get something i will tell you. now on some of the descriptions of the codes, im sure i can hit google again to look more in depth or even call some comercial customers to get a grasp of it.

thanks for reading and ill be looking forward to your responses.

I have no idea what marta is. I assume that it is some state emissions testing.

That said, the 4.9 is generally not refereed to as a Northstar as it did not get branded so. I've heard many refer to it as a first gen Northstar as it came from the same facility but it's not classified so.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

its not a constant missfire and i do intend on fixing the manifold aswell, i just dont have a garrage to work in so i gotta wait for some clear days. i have the plugs and wires here. another thing thats puzzeling me is that when i let off of the accelleration, there is this feed back or twang that i hear from the exhaust, im hoping the manifold will fix it. cause its about $330 from my work.

It's a Tennessee smog test. Required yearly to obtain your plates.

Marta is short for Marta Technologies who develops the testing equipment.

Currently the test is a OBDii port connection to check for codes and readiness monitors. This would apply to 1996 and newer vehicles.

Older non-OBDii vehicles require a sniff test probe in the exhaust.

I too....used to have a '93 4.9L.....it did not like to pass Marta.

What I used to do....when my car was next in line. In neutral, I would rev and hold the engine rpm at 2500....for maybe 60-90 seconds. This would get the catalytic converter good and hot....pull in...and pass the test every time.

This procedure will certainly draw some stares from the Marta crew...but who cares...you just want to pass.

well im going toget the spark plugs changed....hard as *smurf*....and the take it back through. if that does not do the trick i am going to do some back yard stuff to possibly get me some more time on it. anyone have pointers on changing the back 4 against the firewall? ive been contemplating them for a while and it just seems like there has to be a more logical way to get to them.

It's a Tennessee smog test. Required yearly to obtain your plates.

Marta is short for Marta Technologies who develops the testing equipment.

Currently the test is a OBDii port connection to check for codes and readiness monitors. This would apply to 1996 and newer vehicles.

Older non-OBDii vehicles require a sniff test probe in the exhaust.

I too....used to have a '93 4.9L.....it did not like to pass Marta.

What I used to do....when my car was next in line. In neutral, I would rev and hold the engine rpm at 2500....for maybe 60-90 seconds. This would get the catalytic converter good and hot....pull in...and pass the test every time.

This procedure will certainly draw some stares from the Marta crew...but who cares...you just want to pass.

LOL there is always some trick. If it works who cares. Thats a good tip.

A loose manifold will definately be noisy with the backpressure from Deceleration.

And the 4.9 is not the northstar. the northstar is an entirely different animal. 4.6l. The 4.9 is a very good and reliable engine. I think the worst I have had problems with is the coil pack on top of the distributor cap. And a pipe to the water pump. It is a strong running v8

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

well i got under the car and figured i could change the back side plugs a lot easier than the top. so i changed out the number 2 plug moved to the number 4 and it broke....this is getting more fun by the minute. and it looks liek i need to take the power steering pump bracket off to run the wires correctly. ill get this done, not gonna let it whoop me

• 2 weeks later...

got a new cap, rotor, ignition coil, plugs, and wires, soon to be a new o2 sensor, got the codes down to 2 and still didnt pass marta...it runs fine...i had the crank case breather hose off of it when i went through, on accident...currently gotta get one from cadillac or somewhere..im guessing the upstream o2 sensor is causing the misfiring at this point...thats assuming the compression in the cylinders are fine. any input?

and i tried the reving thing at my emmissions test....it dont work, lol. the co's jumped to 9.4% and HC's jumped to the 700's, those are both higher than when i didnt do anything to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived