CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Filter Removal Question 99 Deville

I've got a couple of issues with the '99 that I believe is fuel related. It sometimes surges slightly like it's running out of gas and sometimes when I'm coasting it will just die (no codes except P1599 - Stall detected). It starts fine and idles fine.

The first thing I wanted to start with was the fuel filter because *usually* it's the easiest to replace for fuel related issues and it should be replaced anyway. Well, I don't think it's every been replaced and the threaded end of the fuel filter is stuck on there. I tried for about an hour last night and just could not get it. I ended up bending the end of the fuel filter. I tried spraying some PB lubricant on it, but that didn't help. Obviously I can't use a torch to get it off. They want $75 at a shop to remove it for me. Any other ideas?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

I'd leave it alone.... I have replaced them and they have never been restricted to the point where they starve the engine for fuel.

You might try cleaning the idle air control plunder and passages as well as the throttle body.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Alrighty, I cleaned the IAC and the throttle body. I was suprised to see how carboned up everything was for only having 69,000 miles. I put everything back together and we shall see how it works in the next few days.

-Dusty-

There is a line repair kit for the stuck fuel filter. I discovered it when I had the same problem on my 97 Deville. You have to cut and splice the fuel line. The kit has compression fittings.

If you use a splice kit, be sure to apply anti-sieze lubricant to all the threads in case you need to disassemble it in the future.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I might try that next spring. Too cold now. :)

It still surges a bit, but I haven’t gotten it to stall on me. I haven’t driven around town much though since then. That was the only time that it did it. Highway driving was fine.

-Dusty-

Archived