CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Buying Dextron VI transmission fluid

winterset

I need to purchase 3 gallons of Dextron VI. The local dealer wants $30 a gallon. is it OK to buy an aftermarket fluid (if so which ones), or just stick with GM? Also how much should I be paying a gallon, and where should I get it. I found a place online for $21 a gallon, but it's $6.00 shipping.

If a product is labeled Dexron VI, then it meets GM specifications and the manufacturer/vendor is licensed by GM to make and sell the product as Dexron VI. I would get it locally unless the price is wild. Pep boys carries Dexron VI in gallon jugs by Pennzoil, Castrol, and Peak (apparently the same people as Peak Antifreeze). Wallmart carries Dexron VI in gallon jugs by Castrol, SuperTech, and Valvoline. The only price I see is a 4-pack of Valvoline for $66.72 or $16.68 a gallon at Wallmart. So, get a name brand and don't pay more than $20 a gallon.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes you can buy an aftermarket fluid. As long its a brand name and the bottle says its suitable or formulated for Dexron VI then by law is has to be true or its false adverstising.

GM and the GM dealers ONLY recommend products that make them money. The GM ATF is made by Pertro Canada and is not superior to any other brand. Matter of fact GM licensing requirements mean they are all have to be the same so ever brand out there with a GM license is paying GM for that license as well as some of the profits.

Personally, I have 100% synthetic in my 2009 CTS4 going on 4 yrs and also in my 2012 GMC Sierra Denali and its not GM licensed. The only reason GM licenses anything is to get a piece of the profits from the oil companies and then they bad-mouth anyone who will not pay them thier ransom.

Mike

2012 Sierra Denali 6.2L

2009 CTS4 Performance Sedan

Thanks all for the reply. Went to Wal-Mart, and purchased "GM approved" Dextron VI. In the past, as I browsed the shelves in different stores, I only saw Dextron/Mercon. It listed its use in Ford, GM, & others on the bottle. I guess this is a "universal" fluid. I would NEVER use something like this. Also I still see Dextron III on the shelves.

I am curious if those flush places put in universal fluid or if they would actually put in Dextron VI into GM cars. I figure it might be easier for them to just keep their tanks full on this one fluid, rather than having to store different types. - more the reason for doing things yourself - you know what you're putting in.

Now that I have the stuff, when I'm up to it, I'll drain it out the radiator cooling line, clean the pan, put on a new GM gasket, & fill it up.

GM no longer licenses or or regulates Dexron III. Due to the fundamentally better functionality of all GM automatic transmissions using Dexron VI (lower viscosity, 230% of the clutch life, uniform viscosity versus operating temperature, etc.) GM mandates Dexron VI for use with all transmissions, including those that were originally filled with Dexron II/III or Type A. Because the Dexron VI specification requires that it be at least partly synthetic, it is more expensive than Dexron II/III so a market, and suppliers, still exist for formulations that purport to conform to the Dexron III standard - which no longer exists except historically.

Mercon is a Ford specification. Although I suppose that it is possible to make an ATF that complies with both a Mercon and a Dexron specification, I would insist on knowing which one. Mentioning the Mercon or Dexron trademark on the bottle implies that the product is licensed and that the specification is met, but I would question whether this was indeed the case or whether GM/Ford had not yet gotten around to filing for a restraining order or whatever. Such an ATF would be economical only if all of the Mercon <n> and Dexron <n> specifications were nearly the same, which is possible, I suppose. If the bottle specifies Dexron VI and states that it is a licensed product, I might consider using it in an emergency when nothing else was available.

Here is a list of all Dexron VI license holders as of June 2012:

http://www.aftonchem...nseHolders.aspx

I found it along with several others that are older on a web search for "Dexron VI licensees"

If you can, write down whoever makes the ATF from the bottle and check this list. If they aren't on it, I wouldn't use it.

Note that Dexron is very commonly referred to as Dextron, but Dextron is not a GM trademark. If you see Dextron with the "T" on the bottle, you can be sure that it's not Dexron.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

use dex6 in older cars? i have a 99 grand prix. original trans. 150k miles. never been rebuilt. if i do a pan drop and change filter, would you recommend dex3 or dex6? so dex3 is not labeled as such and anything you find now will say "manufactured to dex3 specs" but it will not say it is dex3?

Well, GM's position is that there is no such thing anymore as Dexron III, and Dexron VI is the recommended fill, and Dexron VI is compatible with adding to transmissions that have Dexron II or III in them. So, GM's recommendations are, by implication, to use Dexron VI to top off your transmission after servicing.

I will say from experience that they advantages of perfect shifts, every time, come from 100% Dexron VI, and that topping off the transmission after servicing won't do that. Only flushing with Dexron VI will completely replace *all* the Dexron III.

The data states that Dexron VI is backwards compatible with Dex III; no worries. I've done a refill with new filter on my '04 Bravada about 25 thousand miles ago with no worries/problems.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

While Dexron III may not be a specification or name used anymore there are 1,000's of vehicles (non-GM models) on the road that cannot use Dexron VI and must continue to use Dexron III or problems will result. While GM does not call it Dexron III anymore they now call is Manual Transmission Fluid. Its all marketing bs, see below. GM ONLY recommends what they sell and can make money on.

IMG_0433.jpg

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Unavailability of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

Recommendation/Instructions:

If fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is unavailable when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in it's place. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

PS - I have been in the lubricant business for over 30 yrs....

Mike

2009 Cadillac CTS4 AWD Performance Sedan

I suggest that we look at TSB 04-07-30-037A. It's been posted on the other forum:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-30-037a.pdf

If u remove the drain plug in trans, u can get almost 2 gal total out. I put in used trans and diff converter sure felt light. I got 3 gal back in. If I drop pan on my gp, I might as well use dex6. The pan gasket on the 4t80e is reusable. No need to change it btw.

Archived