CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trivia

Ed Hall

very rare.

Gets me thinking because last week I saw a 94 olds 88 in my local yard with loaded AQ9s. It is the first one I have ever seen with them. They were perfect. red leather. Air controls and all.

cant say I have seen a set of those though, I heard of them but never actually saw a set. It was very limited time. they used those seats.

Also did you pull them? how were the back seats? buckets also or one seat?

Thanks for posting

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

They are from the cadillac fleetwood sixty special from 1989 to 1992. I think they were designed by an Italian company.

You are correct for the Sixty Specials from 1989 to 1992. These seats were also offered as an option in 1993 for $3550.

very rare.

Gets me thinking because last week I saw a 94 olds 88 in my local yard with loaded AQ9s. It is the first one I have ever seen with them. They were perfect. red leather. Air controls and all.

cant say I have seen a set of those though, I heard of them but never actually saw a set. It was very limited time. they used those seats.

Also did you pull them? how were the back seats? buckets also or one seat?

Thanks for posting

Yes I pulled them from a 1990 Sixty Special at the local junkyard. There was nothing wrong with the car except the engine was missing (probably from a bad injector). The car was complete when I pulled the front seats out. The back seats were in fair condition. They are just one seat but a lot fancier than in the Fleetwoods. They are still available and the junkyard wants $40 for them.

The seats are in the process of being installed in my 1990 Suburban. The Suburban seats are not bad but these are more comfortable. I'll eventually dye them black.

Here's some information:

For 1989, Cadillac produced 2,007 Sixty Special sedans and were priced at $34,840.

The 1990 Sixty Special was priced at $36,980, and 1,817 were manufactured

Cadillac manufactured 879 Sixty Specials for 1991, with a base price of $38,325.

For the 1992 model year, only 554 Sixty Special sedans (priced at $39,860) were produced.

In 1993, the Fleetwood name went onto a new, rear-wheel-drive vehicle (a replacement for the Cadillac Brougham), so the 1992 front-drive Fleetwood merged with the Sixty Special to become the 1993 Sixty Special (available only as a four-door). This was a step-down in furnishings and standard equipment for Sixty Special, as the car was similarly equipped to the 1992 Fleetwood it had replaced. Velour upholstery was now standard, leather optional. While Sixty Special retained genuine American walnut trim on the doors and dashboard, the custom seating that made the Sixty-Special unique since 1989 was now optional, available as part of a $3,550 "Ultra" package. Only 686 of the 5,286 Sixty Specials (priced at $37,230) built in 1993 were ordered with the "Ultra" interior. A 1993 Sixty Special Coupe was planned, and is referred to in the "Advance Preview Book" (a supplement that Cadillac dealer's received in July 1992 offering information about the upcoming 1993 model year). However, by September 12 of that year, the coupe was dropped from production after just one model was built (in Royal Maroon Metallic). Sixty Special sedan production (by color) is as follows: 3 Mary Kay Pink / 59 Dark Plum / 110 Light Sapphire Blue / 206 Slate-Bronze / 220 Academy Gray / 228 Carmine Red / 250 Platinum / 310 Sapphire Firemist Blue / 326 Taupe / 445 Royal Maroon / 477 Light Beige / 518 Slate Green / 578 Black / 707 Navy Blue / 849 White. While it was based upon the deVille, the Sixty Special included eleven items as standard equipment that were optional on deVille. In addition, there were options for the Sixty Special not available on the deVille, such as a driver's side 2-position memory seat and individual power recliners for the front seats. On the exterior, the most noticeable difference were the rear wheel fender skirts, giving the Sixty Special a more formal look than the deVille.

The last one rolled off the assembly line on June 18, 1993

IPB Image

great info.

I have a 90 scottsdale . I have trailblazer seats installed. Not the most comfortable but they have built in seatbelts. Please send pics when you install them. I would really like to see how they come out

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

great info.

I have a 90 scottsdale . I have trailblazer seats installed. Not the most comfortable but they have built in seatbelts. Please send pics when you install them. I would really like to see how they come out

It's not worth fixing the old seats when you can buy very nice seats at the junkyard for not much cost. However, it does take some ingenuity to get them to fit. For example, I'll have to modify the brackets so that I can bolt them down to the Suburban floor pan. Another challenge is the controls for this seat. Everything on this seat is electric control like the headrests. There is a switch to move the headrests up and down / forward and backwards.

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

I got these seats installed in my 1990 Suburban and they fit so well that it appears like they were built for the vehicle. However, the mounting holes on the tracks were a bit off so I had to use some ingenuity to get it to all work.

Also, these seats are the most comfortable vehicle seats I've ever sat on. I just completed a 2200 mile trip and did not suffer any soreness like I usually do from such a drive. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that had I not bought these seats, they would have been sent to the crushers. Very few people are aware of how rare they are and how much they cost when new.

I'll post some pictures once I find my camera.

IPB Image

Here's a picture of the Cadillac Sixty Special seats installed in my 1990 Suburban. These were ideal seats to install because they are true bucket seats rather than the 60/40 seats commonly found in other Cadillacs of the same vintage. The width of the seats were perfect and there is even a narrower spot on the seat to clear for the Suburban seat belts. I welded a flat bar across the seat rails so I could use the existing holes on the Suburban. The next thing I've got to do is dye the seats black and install the Cadillac seat switch adjusters. I'll probably install those on the door panel just like the Cadillacs.

As far as comfort, they are by far the most comfortable seats I have even sat on for a long trip. I felt a lot less fatigue on the 2300 mile return trip with the seats installed and towing a 1972 Chevy behind. Both vehicles were loaded to the hilt. The whole setup would have probably tipped the scales at around 16k lbs. If I delayed anyone on this board who got stuck behind, I apologize. The 1972 truck had old tires so I kept the speed down to under 60 mph. The Suburban handled the load very well and was able to handle Deadman Pass which is known as the top 10 toughest tows in America just fine. The Cummins engine pulled it in overdrive at 50 mph with some throttle to spare. I got just a hair over 20 mpg average while towing.

http://www.dieselpow...ca/viewall.html

P1030302.jpg

P1030303.jpg

P1030293.jpg

P1030295-001.jpg

IPB Image

I like to check out the higher end foreign cars at boneyards. Found a nice newer range rover with very nice seats. Seem fairly narrow. Bet they would fit in a few cars. Sit on a pedestal base so they are higher than average. Did not really see if base separates from seat bottom. Assume it does.

I like to check out the higher end foreign cars at boneyards. Found a nice newer range rover with very nice seats. Seem fairly narrow. Bet they would fit in a few cars. Sit on a pedestal base so they are higher than average. Did not really see if base separates from seat bottom. Assume it does.

The seat bottoms were welded to the base. In fact, several of the welds had cracked so I went in and re-welded them. Fortunately, these seats were correct in terms of height for the Suburban.

I also bought a set of seats out of an Audi V8 Quattro that will go into the Eldorado. The seats look like new and the car that it came out of was so clean inside that you could eat off of it. Apparently, it must of had some type of mechanical problem that cost more to fix than the car was worth. I could tell that the car would be a nightmare to work on.

IPB Image

Archived