CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cup holder mechanism broken.

My cup holder doesn't retract anymore. It seems like the mechanism (a tiny black box) is the problem, I opened it and tried to move the small spring back and forward etc. but can't get the soft close cup holder back in operation.

Can I buy a new mechanism somewhere? Or any other ideas? :)

Best regards.

Fred

Mine was completely missing so I took it off, removed the broken remnants and simply turned it around so the hole where the holder was, is facing backwards. Still flips up and looks way better....

I have found others in the bone yard but they were all the wrong color.....I have tan which seems to be somewhat harder to find.

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

The mechanism is not sold seperately that I know of. Sometimes a hint of wd40 will help but rarely. kind of reminds me of the very chintsy ashtray on the console shift models. 94-2002 anyway, there is a tiny plastic tit that engages and disengages the latch and it is so tiny it breaks without even touching it.

Now bear in mind that latch you speak of might be used in other parts on the car.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Well one day I came out and saw my ashtray was open and I never open it. I thought maybe someone broke into the car but I found the pin at the bottom.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

OP,

If you disassemble the cup holder mechanism, I believe you will find that the touch latch is broken. My '93 Eldo is sold but I have three new latches in the parts box if you are interested. I don't know if they are the same or not.

• 5 months later...

Substitute for plastic pin and JB Weld fixed mine.

What do you mean? A plastic pin? Pls, tell me more :)

On mine...I simply removed the large spring. Then just manually open and close the cup holder.

On mine...I simply removed the large spring. Then just manually open and close the cup holder.

I did the same. But the soft close is quite nice :)

Archived