CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac ATS-V Turbo V6 or Supercharged V8?

The Cadillac ATS-V needs to bring the power to put the BMW M3 away. The Cadillac ATS-V will bring an exciting engine for the new Cadillac track star — we just don’t know which one yet.

2013-Cadillac-ATS-14502-1024x682.jpg

Cadillac ATS-V Turbo V6 or Supercharged V8?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Keep the weight down and 50/50 balance; so I'm thinking twin-turbo 3.6.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

According to the Powell Doctrine, any contest should begin with an undeniable "I win." Remember, your audience is those who do not have a hard loyalty to either BMW or Cadillac or whatever; the target must be people who comparison shop and go with the facts. A clear advantage translates to a sales advantage, and better dealer negotiation stance.

The LS engine is a lot lighter than people realize. It's an all-aluminum pushrod engine, The 3.6 is a quad-cam engine, with much heavier heads. A comparison of the on-palette weight of each, with supercharger and turbo included in the respective weights, would be interesting.

Pumping up the V6 to 550 hp strikes me as a possible reliability issue for some drivers. If reliability isn't an issue, the V6 may be a better fit for a longer period of time than a big V8. A bigger, heavier, torquier engine implies more cooling, transmission, intercooler, brakes, suspension, wheels, and other items that can carry a weight penalty, so no choice is simple enough to do without examining at least a first-cut design for the entire vehicle.

Me, personally, I would like to have the V8. With no restraints of reality, I like the supercharged LS7 in the $125K Corvette ZL-1.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

And the next gen V-8 (direct injected) is also back on track; will be interesting to see when they will make their debut (believe the trucks to get them first). You've got to love the possibilities in any case.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

If the10-15% improvement in output seen in the 3.6 V6 is any guide, the supercharged LS7 could go from 650 hp to 715+ hp with no change in boost. The best E-Rod currently offered on http://www.chevroletperformance.com seems to be the 556 hp LSA. Let the good times roll.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived