CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Head-gasket replacement advice

zaier

Hello, I have been researching the head-gasket problem on the 4.6 Northstar engines.

I have a quick question. I own a 1999 Cadillac Eldorado that has a confirmed blown head-gasket. I was wondering, is it possible to replace the head-gasket without pulling the engine? I do not have the tools to pull the engine. I am on a very limited budget so time-serts are not an option.. are heli-coils any good at all?

I have replaced a head-gasket before on a Chevy Lumina. So I believe I can do the job if I do not need to pull the engine... Your thoughts? Thank you so much for any advice you might have for me!!!

The engine must be removed to do this job right, either by dropping the carriage or by pulling the engine from the top (not recommended as there are bolts that are hard to get at).

Leaving the engine in place and attempting this job makes the job very difficult if not impossible to do

You MUST either timesert the block or use studs, Heli-Coils WILL NOT be strong enough and will probably utilize the existing threads which is the problem in the first place.

This is not a job for an inexperienced mechanic or if you are attempting to do it cheaply. There is only one way to do this job, the right way or you will do it again. I would say if you want to keep this car, save up to do it corretly.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I hate to say this.. but... if Timeserts or Studs are not an option... then you don't have any options...

Don't even think of using Helicoils... they will not work.

Posted Image

There is a you tube video of someone doing this in the car. I believe you will need a angle drill though and it is NOT going to be fun. Personally, I took the engine out of my car, and I really like shortcuts! I second the heli coil opinion, don't. I would think doing this in the car would be what someone did that wanted to get rid of a car, and didn't really care how quality a job was achieved. I don't want to buy that car.

is it possible to replace the head-gasket without pulling the engine?

It is possible and has been done, but it is much harder and not recommended.

DO NOT use Heilicoils. Use Timeserts - they are the factory recommended. If you go to Timesert's website, you will see that they sell a "Bigsert" kit under the manufacturer kit section and the description "For use when Heilicoil pulls out".

There is a TON of information on this in the archives.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived