CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Too many miles???

pushinthelac

I have a 95 SLS and it has 130,000 miles on it. I get it tuned up regularly and keep it in fairly good condition and take care of all of the little things. I haven't had anything wrong with the transmition and everything seems to be fine. When do they seem to go bad if thats how you put it?

Not much major work, just here and there stuff. At least that is what i think. The biggest problem, i've had to get fixed was the whole wheel bearing on the front left side. Other than that no major problems with the transmission or anything.

I have over 167K and the car has had its share of problems, but less than you would expect for a car of this many miles. The amazing thing is I have fixed them all, and found them quite easy, for a shadetree mechanic. Problems and approximate miles are as outlined below:

waterpump, 110k

radiator tank, 130k

blower control module, 130k

shift solenoids, 150k

cam sensor, 160k

Of course I have done usual maintenance items, such as hoses, belt, brake pads and plugs/wires replacement, but I still have the original exhaust, AC system and alternator. The Northstar is really a great engine platform, and if your mechanically inclined, I'd keep it. However (although I don't personally know yet), what what I have read in past posts at the old website, it seems like garages take advantage of billing "heavy" for a Caddy.

Something to consider....

I have my maintenance history on the car on the web:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/maint.html

That page includes things like the CD changer I installed, two sets of tires, etc. So it's not exclusively REPAIRS, but everything that's been done to it, including repairs, fixes, mods, are listed there. You can get an idea how it compares to yours. I have close to 130k on it now. I plan to keep it for a very long time. I love the styling of this car, and I know the powertrain is good for many more miles.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There's no good answer to this question. My 93 STS had 193k on it and was still going strong after 9 years; but that doesn't mean that YOURS will be.

Some would say that I put a lot of money in repairs. I found it reasonable.

I bought the car 2 years old w/55k miles for $24,495. I drove it seven years and the repairs averaged $1,000 per year. Adding that to the purchase price made the cost $31, 495 for a car that sold for $50k when it was new.

I thought it was such a good deal that I bought a 2000 STS with 35k miles and hope to drive it to 200,000; but I might not be as lucky this time.

There are no guarantees about anything. You just have to take your best shot and hope for the best.

bought my 92 eldorado with 48k (for $5800)...now has 59k...only major part replaced was an engine mount for about $75..took me about 4 hours. This has been a very reliable trouble free car so far. I LOVE IT!!! :P

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I bought my 92 SLS with 49,810 miles for $2,000 and had to do about $3,500 in maintenance when I got the car and the first 3 months thereafter. (Brakes, tires, struts, antenna, third brake light, trans fluid drain/replace, antifreeze fluid drain/replace, stuff like that)

So far, it's up to 57,000+miles and still no repairs but I'm sure they'll be coming along eventually.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Bought the Big Red Dog, '94 DCS Concours, with 82,500 on it for $3,750(was my company car). A/C comp was fixed just beforehand along with various belts as I recall.

A few years later, it has nearly 170,000 and nothing but tires, fuel, oil and filters.

Some dirt/gravel at speed and lotsa Nevada highway miles at 82.5 mph and 23 mpg.

WOT at 126 limit for miles and miles.

No dents, no rust, like new inside

Looks good, rides great,

swoops past unsuspecting yuppies

Cops don't bother the "Grampa Rig"

Dosen't owe me a thing...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My '95 etc has 135 hard driven miles, well 'cept for the first 65k when the school marm was driving it. Fixed a couple of things in the 4 yrs I have had if but not that much.

Use to get driven home from the airport by a limo service with a fleet of northstar devilles. I always noted the mileage and they all were considerably north of 250k.

I am expecting 300k out of mine.

I figure a car has too many miles on it when I no longer like it and I just want a different one.

Cars with shabby paint, worn out interiors, falling down headliners, wrinkled bodies, and broken or missing trim have too many miles.

Cars that need tires, brakes, shocks, and multiple mechanical repairs all at once have too many miles, especially when they also have the cosmetic problems mentioned above.

Cars that are kept in good condition overall but have a mechanical problem or might develop one in the near future (even an expensive one) rarely have too many miles unless I have my eye on a different car anyway.

Trading a well-kept older car for a new or very low milage one is usually a lot more expensive than repairing the older one. Trading for a car that is only 2 or 3 years newer will probably cost as much as a major repair and the newer car will be just as prone to needing work as the old one.

However, when I get to the point where I want a different car (which happens every 3 or 4 years), all this rationale goes out the window!

"Too many miles" is always a great justification for trading.

Spending thousands of dollars on a new car just because it is so beautiful, or so fast, or so classy is pure folly! On the other hand, investing the same money in this sleek new beauty because the old "jalopy" has "too many miles" is a very intellegent and rational thing to do.

Meanwhile, as long as I still enjoy my present car, it never has too many miles and is worth repairing when necessary.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

• 1 year later...

i've been told w/the northstar:if it makes 100k w/out major probs it should be good to go for at least 150k.the way they've been driven seems to be a factor as well.they like to be run hard to clear the carbon and reseat the rings.bought a 98 sts in nov/04' w/105k.runs real strong.did my first tune-up,all plugs clean,no oil consumption. good luck

Just before writing my 2/14/04 post above, I had to replace my Eldo's head gaskets (at a cost about equal to the sales tax on the car when new). Since then, I've put about 20,000 absolutely trouble-free miles on it. I expect to go another 50 or 60,000 miles before there are too many miles on it.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I have 72k on my ETC, and its driven very hard, in the city mostly, and perfectly maintained.

I bought it 2.5 years ago, with around 30k miles and a certified warranty, which expired a year ago.

While it was in warranty, it was in the shop for a warranty repair every 3 months or so - Cadillac spent a fortune on it.

When it went out of warranty, I started looking for a more recent certified car - and then all of a sudden a money drought occurred over here, so I grinned and bore it.

A year later after the warranty expired, it has needed only a coolant surge tank, a front bearing, and a water pump. Which is, I guess, almost every 3 months. But, these were inexpensive compared to the things Cadillac fixed.

I'm thinking I'm gonna keep the car - the only thing I would change is the wheels - which will happen next time some money shows up!

At 72,000 miles, it's just getting broken in. You have at LEAST another hundred thousand in it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I bought my 94 concours in 2001 for $6000 with 61,400 miles on it and, not knowing anything about Northstars, I bought it with an oil leak. I have since put in shift solenoids $130.00, waterpump $100 (including the tool) and thermostat, radiator end tank $200, new plugs and wires $170, and new coil $50. I now have a little over 125,000 miles and still running strong. I hope to break the 200,000 barrier even with the oil leak if my head bolts hold out. It's a crap shot though. Good Luck.

Archived