CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help! All this went bad at the same time?

djazzmo

I don't know what happen to my Caddy. I started to drive it and the parking brake did not release as usual when I put it in drive. Drove about a block before I noticed. After a few attempts to disengage it with my foot and trying to put it in gear I found the manual release lever and released the brake. Now I have the following problems:

Service suspension sys

ABS light stays on

Traction control light stays on

Rearview mirror compass and antiglare won't work

Heater will not blow warm air

Lumbar supports on both front seats will not work

Codes:

No ABS data

C1780

C1783

C1785

U1255

Lots of history codes

I swear all of this happened at the same time. It led me to believe that a fuse had blown but I couldn't find any bad fuses. Maybe it is a relay but I don't know how to check them.

Any ideas?

Is it safe to continue to drive?

First thing I would do is check your battery connection and be sure the battery is in good shape. Loose connections or bad batteries can cause all kinds of electrical problems.

You might also want to disconnect the battery cable to reset the computer.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Try to apply the parking brake really hard and release it with gear shift or manually.

Hopefully ABS light will disappear. I would check the battery connections as Dasher suggested, clear codes and drive. You can drive without the compass or blower for a while and then check all the related fuses when you have time/chance. Increase the temperature up to 90 degrees. It will open airmix door completely and even the blower is off you will feel some heat coming from the heater core due to the natural air flow.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Try to apply the parking brake really hard and release it with gear shift or manually.

Hopefully ABS light will disappear. I would check the battery connections as Dasher suggested, clear codes and drive. You can drive without the compass or blower for a while and then check all the related fuses when you have time/chance. Increase the temperature up to 90 degrees. It will open airmix door completely and even the blower is off you will feel some heat coming from the heater core due to the natural air flow.

I agree, check all related fuses, your owners manual will tell you which fuse goes to what.

Thanks for the responses but nothing worked. I disconnected the battery and I had already looked at all the fuses that seem to be remotely related to the problem. I also tried to engage the parking brake all the way but it still will not release except with the manual lever and my ABS and traction control lights remain on.

Any other ideas?

You checked the fuse center under the hood right?

There is another fuse center in the trunk located under the back window.

You have to remove the trunk interior piece that covers it.

My 96 had one...so you prob, have one in your 98...............geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

It is possible to have two, three, or more things go wrong with a car all at once, but it isn't likely. Odds are pretty good all your troubles can be traced to a single problem. If you haven't already, I would get the battery checked to make sure it is ok. Then I would check the battery cables and their connections at both ends to make sure they are tight and corrosion-free. Next, make sure all the computer grounds are good. There are several grounds around the car. One, I know, is located behind the interior kick panel forward of the driver's door.

I have never had this type of multiple problem occurence, but I've read many instances of this type on the Board and the battery/cable/ground approach is the most commonly suggested remedy. Since all your problems sound electrical or electronic in nature, it's a good bet that the single cause of your troubles lies somewhere in your car's basic electrical and grounding system.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I have checked all the related fuses in both the engine compartment and under the rear seat. The DIC is reading the battery voltage as 14.3 as it always has. When I check the electrical grounds what am I supposed to be looking for? Can anyone tell me how to check the relays? I can't even figure out how to remove them.

The ground bolts should be tight enough to eliminate any looseness of the grounding lug. Use a small wire brush or a piece of emery cloth to clean any paint, crud, or corrosion from the contact surfaces. You just need a good positive metal to metal contact.

Don't forger to check both ends of your battery cables too.

Hope this helps.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Well I think I may have found the issue. It appears that all the disscussion about ground bolts was valid. I found the ground bolt near the front kick panel had some rust around it. When I removed it I found more rust on the inside. I scrapped it all away as well as the paint under the bolt. Everything now appears to be working fine. I need to get some more time with it to see if it continues since I had to remove it twice before I got a good ground. Hopefully it is allright now.

Big ups to all of you who responded with your advice.

Archived