CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'93 Allante Throttle Position Sensor throwing codes

How easy is it to change a Throttle Position Sensor on a 1993 Cadillac Allante? Daughters boy friend says his 1993 Cadillac Allante convertable is throwing codes for TPS and O2 sensors, not sure how he knows. I think he took it to an Autozone or other parts place. He's not a mechanic and I worked on military aircraft for a living, and my own '80-90's VW's, '80-90's Toyotas and '90's Hondas. Just have no experience with GMC/Cadillac.

My assumption is that it won't be a plug and play fix, correct?

Does not look terrible; I think it is part 25 in this diagram

920103GM03-266.JPG

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2845940&ukey_assembly=378094&ukey_make=1023&ukey_model=14458&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=1993

17106682 SENSOR KIT. Computer Control Sensors. Multi Port Fuel Injection Throttle Position.

SENSOR KIT,THROT POSN(ACDelco #213-896). Required: 01For: E 4.6-9(L37),4.6Y(LD8) (1993-1993) (1993 - 1993). For: K 4.6-9(L37) (1993-1993) (1993 - ...

Cost is around $96

Could be an indication that the throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned out, but may also need a new sensor.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Does not look terrible; I think it is part 25 in this diagram

920103GM03-266.JPG

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2845940&ukey_assembly=378094&ukey_make=1023&ukey_model=14458&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=1993

17106682 SENSOR KIT. Computer Control Sensors. Multi Port Fuel Injection Throttle Position.

SENSOR KIT,THROT POSN(ACDelco #213-896). Required: 01For: E 4.6-9(L37),4.6Y(LD8) (1993-1993) (1993 - 1993). For: K 4.6-9(L37) (1993-1993) (1993 - ...

Cost is around $96

Could be an indication that the throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned out, but may also need a new sensor.

Thanks for the pic and info. Just wondering if there is an adjustment? Got a 1993 Service manual on order, but it won't get here until thursday or so. Just don't want the kid to ruin an engine running around town like it is until we get in in my garage. Not really sure this is the right car for him, won't even change the oil himself, takes it to Jiffy Lube.

Really not a bad job to change the TPS and really nothing to adjust with the TPS.

O2 sensors go bad 10x more often then TPS sensors.

That said, I would be very leary about any codes provided second hand...word of mouth..or by a parts store. The parts stores like to sell O2 and throtte postion sensors.

There is a way to access the codes via the cluster /IPC on the Allante. Not sure if it's the same off/warmer button procedure used on the STS. But we can find the procedure for you.

I would wait until you have the car...then run the diagnostics and see what the codes really are.

Could be a bad TPS...then again....maybe not a bad TPS at all.

TPS is easy to test with ohmmeter for smooth readings while you move the lever. Besides, I would disconnect/reconnect the related connectors some 10-20 times, clean them with cleaner and see if it helps. Could be just a bad connection throwing open circuit code.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Really not a bad job to change the TPS and really nothing to adjust with the TPS.

O2 sensors go bad 10x more often then TPS sensors.

That said, I would be very leary about any codes provided second hand...word of mouth..or by a parts store. The parts stores like to sell O2 and throtte postion sensors.

There is a way to access the codes via the cluster /IPC on the Allante. Not sure if it's the same off/warmer button procedure used on the STS. But we can find the procedure for you.

I would wait until you have the car...then run the diagnostics and see what the codes really are.

Could be a bad TPS...then again....maybe not a bad TPS at all.

I'll have the car in the morning and will see for myself what codes it's throwing. The kid already bought a TPS from the local GM dealer for $89 plus tax and shipping.

Archived