CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear brakes dragging

I imagine I've got a warped rotor, as every time I brake I get a pulsating in my brakes. I haven't done the rear brakes before, so if someone could leave detailed instructions to replace rotors and pads that would help. Also, I let the pulsating go on for a while thinking it would just wear down the pads, but now I can feel and hear the vibration when I'm NOT pressing the brakes - and it feels like the brakes are dragging a bit on the rotors. In addition to just replacing the pads/rotors is there anything I should check on the caliper? Thanks - and remember - please leave a rotor/brake pad replacement instructions as I'd like to fix it this week.

I imagine I've got a warped rotor, as every time I brake I get a pulsating in my brakes. I haven't done the rear brakes before, so if someone could leave detailed instructions to replace rotors and pads that would help. Also, I let the pulsating go on for a while thinking it would just wear down the pads, but now I can feel and hear the vibration when I'm NOT pressing the brakes - and it feels like the brakes are dragging a bit on the rotors. In addition to just replacing the pads/rotors is there anything I should check on the caliper? Thanks - and remember - please leave a rotor/brake pad replacement instructions as I'd like to fix it this week.

Are you sure it's the rear brakes? After driving some 5 miles , stop and touch the rims. Are the rear ones hot? How's your parking brake? Apply and release it several times to make sure it is released properly. Another test, while moving slowly, apply parking brake carefully, see if you get pulsation. That way the front ones are not activated. And finally, it never hurts to take off the wheels and see the condition of brake pads, slides, lines, rotors and calipers.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I know GM had problems with early 90s rear calipers, there was a recall on them even from them sticking. So it is possible they are not releasing properly and dragging. But definately do what was said, take your wheels off and check all your rotors and pads.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

While it certainly could/might be warped rotors, as others have said, check the pads and rotors for glazing first. Glazing can create pulsation too. Sometimes a few relatively hard stops can correct glazing but sometimes you need to deglaze by phyical intervention, i.e. resurface the rotors, change or deglaze the pads, etc. If you try the repeated hard stops, please keep in mind your location and do it in a safe manner and location.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I'd bet when you pull the rotors you'll find them pitted (been there). There is only one bolt on the rear caliper. The caliper rotates up on the upper slide pin the slide it inboard and off the pin if you are removing the rotor. The piston screws in unlike the fronts that get compressed with a C clamp. A brake cube makes it easier, but you can use a pair of needle nose pliers in a pinch. Cracking the bleeder valve also make turning the piston in a bit easier. You'll have to remove the parking brake cable to get the rotor off. That's the hardest part. When you install the new pads be sure that the two detents in the piston face are at 12:00 and 6:00 to mate with the nipples on the back of the brake pads.

Brake Cube

2616026_1.jpg

Archived