CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Howdee folks,I live in the U.K. and own a Cadillac ( do I sit back down know :unsure: ) :D :D :D

She's a 2000 STS (which if I can figure this out there should be a picture of here ?? )

DSCF9023.jpg

As you can see, or maybe not, she's one of the right hand drive ones that made it over here.

Normally faultless she has developed a few electrical issues .. :wipetears :wipetears

I jumped in her one afternoon and when I put the key in the ignition the hazard warning lights/turn signals began flicking very rapidly. I turned the ignition on and they stopped. She started and ran fine.

A couple of weeks later I locked her with the remote but as I walked away I noticed after about 10 seconds the turn signals began blinking faintly about once or twice a second. I unlocked on the remote and they stopped but when I locked her they started again. I can lock her on the key or the interior switch and this does not happen, only with the remote. :huh:

A week later she was parked for a 5 days (I am an OTR trucker) and the battery was flat (never happened before over much longer periods)Started on jumper cables and ran fine. The week after parked again but battery fine. :huh:

Next after a quick trip to the store, An hour or so later I hear a rapidly clicking relay sound from under the hood. Ignition on and off and it stops.

Last night however at 2 am the alarm was sounding, resetting then sounding again immediately. However no lights were flashing at all. When I hit the remote to shut it off, the lights came on etc as per standard unlock procedure yet the alarm continued to wake the neighbors :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

The only way I could shut it up was to put the key in and turn the ignition on. I left it on for 20 seconds then took the key out shut the door and walked away. Thankfully it didn't go off again :yupi3ti: :yupi3ti: :yupi3ti: I have just yanked the plug on the siren so if the fault triggers again at least it won't wake the world up again.

A bit long winded but I hope that makes sense. Please excuse any strange mix of wording, I'm English but spent a long time living in the U.S. hence the love of the Caddy ;) ;) ;)

So Things I have done..

Checked the fault codes as per Jim_97's excellent guide (cheers Jim)

B1983 on IPC and TTM ????

Seems to be low voltage but the battery seems fine, so is this a record of the flat battery ??

1227 and 1327 on AMP ???

Checked all fuses and relays seated properly in engine bay fuse box (where I assume clicking came from)

Don't want to start digging to deep for fear of making it worse :fighting0025: :fighting0025: :fighting0025:

Anyone come across this before ???

I've been through the FAQs and searched it but nada :wipetears

It seems that you have had troubles with the battery, I would have the battery load tested and clean the battery terminals first to eliminate bad connections and a weak battery. These cars are sensitive to good battery power and any weakness can cause problem. After you determine the battery and connections are good we can proceed from there. Pay special attention to the positive cable, its a sandwich of two cable take off the insulator and clean inside very good

For the record never jump your car, its just too risky

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It seems that you have had troubles with the battery, I would have the battery load tested and clean the battery terminals first to eliminate bad connections and a weak battery. These cars are sensitive to good battery power and any weakness can cause problem. After you determine the battery and connections are good we can proceed from there. Pay special attention to the positive cable, its a sandwich of two cable take off the insulator and clean inside very good

For the record never jump your car, its just too risky

Thanks for the quick response. I will go check the connections now and get a load test done as soon as possible. The car never seems to have any trouble starting so I hadn't considered the battery. I did check the volts and they seemed good at if I remember correctly 14.1 ?????

How would you deal with a flat battery if jumper cables are not advised???

Also is there anything specific that needs doing when you replace the battery ?? Being in England the auto shop will not have any Caddy specific knowledge ?????

Is this an after market alarm in the car? I ask because you speak of a siren and I am not aware of one coming stock.

Could be I guess. Although I haven't owned her from new I do have all the cars history and receipts to look through.

The siren was located below and in front of the engine bay fuse board. The cabling from the multiplug at the back of it looks to go into the underneath of the fuseboard, so I will look through the fuse diagram and see if any unused ones are in use for an alarm.

Battery terminals clean and uncorroded if a little loose. I have reseated them both tightly. The battery is obviously not the original and looks to be quite new. I have only owned the car just aver a year. She was sat in a dealers for some time given the gas prices over here :wipetears So I guess maybe he fitted it ??? Looks a little small though

What would be the correct size ???

Well, I am not a big fan of jumping, you need to take certain precautions before you jump like turning off the radio, and properly connecting the jumper cables. IF, the jump is done by a tow truck with sufficient current, its ok, if you are using a smaller vehicle to jump, I dont like that, not with all of the electronics in the car

Personally, I would put the battery on a trickle charger

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

...The battery is obviously not the original and looks to be quite new...

I won't underestimate those stock batteries. I had a 97 Buick Riviera who's battery died in fall of 2009. Pulled the back seat and sure enough, it was an original battery. I didn't know that it was original until I took it to the parts store for replacement and they could tell by the color of the AC Delco label.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I believe your correct group/size is group 79.

Many thanks #rushes off to google that# :blink:

Batteries aren't grouped over here :unsure: It's the amps that I need :o

Batteries aren't grouped over here :unsure: It's the amps that I need :o

The factory installed battery is an ACDelco 79-6YR. The 79 is the group which defines the dimensions and the overboard venting arrangement. The 6YR is the ACDelco prorated warranty period.

ACDelco rates the battery at 880 CCA (cold cranking amperes).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

sorry to hijack but could you please post some interior pics as I haave never seen a right hand drive cadillac. Thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

sorry to hijack but could you please post some interior pics as I haave never seen a right hand drive cadillac. Thanks

No worries. Not very good ones but as you can see basically the same stuff on the "wrong" side :D :D :D :D :D :D

DSCF9026.jpg

DSCF9031.jpg

DSCF9029.jpg

DSCF9030.jpg

DSCF9028.jpg

DSCF9027.jpg

It's been detailed since these were taken :unsure:

thats weird but HOT. I really like that interior. very nice. Love the STS

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived