CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tour of LGR plant where caddys are built

jtcaddy

your dad got you in!! How young are you oh lucky one??

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Find out if you can take pictures in some of the areas of the plant and then maybe we can have them posted somewhere.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sounds Great. Lansing Grand River is the first completely new assembly plant for GM in a long time, since the Saturn plant in 1986; LGR began construction in 2000. Thoroughly modern, and highly automated, with their latest manufacturing methods & processes. My favorite detail was that the trucks that deliver parts & materials to the plant are specially designed.

Here is a good background article:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0...8/d01-35794.htm

LANSING -- By using robots and new computerized tools that can build more than one type of body panel, General Motors Corp. is saving millions of dollars and reducing the size of body shops in its assembly plants.

The technology -- called C-Flex -- allows GM factories to weld different body panels by simply reprogramming tools and robots instead of replacing them each time a new part is built.

GM would normally spend about $150 million on a plant's body shop when a new product is introduced, but with C-Flex that investment could be reduced to about $40 million, said Gary Cowger, president of GM North American, Friday at the automaker's Lansing Grand River plant.

That's how much GM invested to get the Lansing plant's body shop ready to build the new Cadillac SRX luxury utility vehicle, which goes into production next summer.

I don't think the 05 STS is in production yet, but the CTS, CTS-V, and SRX are made there so far.

If you can, please post some pictures too.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The Lansing facility is not really new. Its a new building but its built on what was the Oldsmobile site for years and years.

When I was last there they were just building the CTS in the LGR building. Also on site I think they are doing Malibus and Grand Ams. I'm not sure but I think the bodies are still made at Fisher Body accross town.

No pictures are allowed.

The Saturn site is being pulled back in under GMS. It will be considered a 'GM' assembly plant rather than 'Saturn' only.

Been at both plants many, many times.

This picture is inside the Saturn site....

sdms011.jpg

Perhaps we will best see it in more frequent model year improvements, and the ability to profitably sustain smaller production runs of specialty models.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived