CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What kind of battery to buy?

Bronson

i just got a battery with the most cold cranking amps that i could fit in the hole... i know its ghetto. but my battery could start a fire truck in 30 degree weather...

950COLD CRANKING AMPS/1200 CRANKING AMPS :D

Interstate batterie is the way to go it will barely ever fail you That's all my dad uses in his cars and it's all I plan to put in my'n trust me on this one.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I just replaced a battery for my neighbor (widow). It was an Interstate and was about a year old. I think batteries are much like oil. They have a job to do and while everyone has their personal favorite, they all do the same job fairly well. I never spend more than $50 for a battery and they seem to last as long as any other.

I'm big on AC/Delco parts, but that doesn't always mean the best replacment parts. A parts man at the Cadillac dealership I worked for gave me his opinion on the best parts. If AC were best, he'd tell you. Ryabestos brake parts are better than AC. AC wipers are better than anything on the market. AC starters, whether they be new or rebuild, are the best on the market.

Ah battires: AC battery isn't the best on the market. Sears Diehard is tops. The last one I had in a car lasted 8 years. Let's see a Declo go that long. My boat, which has 5 marine battries is equipped with Diehards. This is the 5th season on them. These battries have a tough life because they sit 7 months of the year, on a peice of wood, inside a heated garage of course, reciving a montly charge. This comes from a hard-core AC Delco man, and I have no love affiar with Sears.

I had another guy tell me about the same problems with an AC delco battery, car was under warranty and they gave him free battery several times but no one came and repaired his driveway, He bought a Wal Mart Battery and no more leak last 3 years. He had a 96 Eldo.

Mike

I use Delco batteries in my Cadillacs - they always go at least a year past the warranty expiration date.

I bought an Everstart (Walmart) battery for my John Deere tractor last fall. It looked identical to the Delco batteries - the vents were in exactly the same place, etc. Apparently Exide makes some of the batteries for Walmart but I can't help but wonder if Delco makes them as well.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Bronson~

The problem is specific to you and I being in South Florida, and some people in Arizona. I had this very conversation with "Bob" (I think that was his name) from Arizona on this board 2 1/2 years ago. In the extremely hot climages like here and there and the high underhood temps, all these traditional batteries boil over. I had a Black/Black 94 Concours ("Streets") that I loved and it had rust under the battery platform - badly. In fact, the rust ate through a vacuum line that affected the HVAC. So over the course of 2 days, I neutralized the battery acid, scraped, primed and painted the afflicted areas. Then I bought a brand-new battery. 4 months later, that new battery boiled over, leaked and started the whole problem again. I had to spend ANOTHER 2 days doing the aforementioned project - THEN I bought a gel battery. Pretty sure it was the one from Exide but I know it was a 'sealed' gel battery. Different technology - never leaked - end of problem. Of course, I sold the car only 2 months later but that's another story.

Since then, I've spent alot of time around techs at Cadillac dealers because of my business. I've asked a few times about this situation. They said they see new Cadillacs or cars under warranty back in ALL THE TIME because of this boil-over issue in Florida and all they can do is replace with an OEM battery.

Have a look under your battery area to check for much leakage and or damage from said leakage. And get a gel battery.

cheers,

~Doc

Doc~

Thanks for the info, I purchased an Optima battery and will perform the scraping, sanding and paint procedure in the very near future. From what I've been told the Optima battery is a "dry cell" and guarantied not to leak. Is this what your referring to when you say "gel”, I hope so!

It is nice to know that their is someone who has had the same experence.

Thanks,

Bronson

sebring06RTP.jpg

Bronson,

Where did you find the Optima to fit...Is it an exact replacement?

Group 79 seems to be hard to find in an Optima...If you don't mind saying

so, how much did it cost?

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

If I lived in the South or Desert southwest, I would use the sealed gel batteries.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived