CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear door window fell out of track

nick248

:welcomesmiley:

It appears that the track is worn and that this rear door and power window needs to be disassembled, and any worn parts adjusted, repaired, or replaced, and the door and window reassembled and tested. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, this is a standard body shop job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It didn't fall off the track. It's a broken cable and a quiet common failure known as the "pop n drop" windows. Here's the repair.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/70894-deville-window-regulator-motor-repair-howto.html

Wow, pop-n-drop! I didn't know what I was missing with my Eldorado. Any one of the fixex at the link looks like a good DIY afternoon, with multiple solutions. I like the $180 new regulator from eBay and the replace-the-plastic-tab-with-sheet-metal fix.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Not sure if the Eldo's had the pop n drop feature Jim. Seems that only the Devilles are afflicted. Never heard anyone complain about the Eldo or Seville.

Ranger - my little joke was primarily on the fact that Eldorados have no rear windows. In fact, the whole rear seat is a replica of a Seville's, console HVAC with fan slider and all, with six inches less foot room so that it is usable comfortably only by people about 5 feet (2.36 m) tall or shorter. Pets or child seats are best. And, of course, no rear doors, and no rear windows, only massive B pillars with their daunting blind spots.

Those POS regulators were introduced in the 2000 Deville. Not sure if they were in the Sevilles from 2000-2004 though.

All the cars use them by now. My family has had three of them fail in Chevy trucks and one in a GMC SUV. One would think the regulators would be redesigned by now given all the field failures...

The old sicissors type regulators that are in the pre-2000 model year cars are virtually bulletproof.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My 2004 dhs window dropped when i tried to lower it and now it won't do anything.

Thanks for all the info, got it fixed at a local shop for $200.00, looked for parts, and this was done for $60.00 labor.

My 2004 dhs window dropped when i tried to lower it and now it won't do anything.

Thanks for all the info, got it fixed at a local shop for $200.00, looked for parts, and this was done for $60.00 labor.

I just fixed my father-in-laws pop-n-drop rear passenger door window. It just cost me my time to take the door panel off and put to 2 cotter pins on each side of the cable and a sinker around the cable where the tab broke as a spacer. I got the idea from another cadillac forum. The regulator has 2 holes on each side of the cable connector this is where the cotter pins go over the cable and through the holes then spread them out to hold the cable in place. Usually the cheap plastic retainer breaks on the up side of the regulator and the window falls down. Be very careful removing the door panels, the plastic is cheap and the retainer plastic pins break easy. The plastic ash tray cover breaks easy also. Never attempt to open the windows when they are frozen in place that is the biggest cause of this failure. Ours failed just when my 8 year old daughter rolled it down in good weather. Save your money because the other 3 windows will eventually fail also. Thats $600 more bucks, ouch!

Archived