CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Compressor Gone

woody

Well after ruling out a pulley bearing the conclusion is the AC Compressor is gone. I was lucky that I could still limp the car to my mechanic friend. He tells me under normal failure the belt just burns off and the car is dead. So not sure how much this beauty is going to set me back. Also found my other leak after just repairing the water pump 2 weeks ago. It's a small 2" hose down by the meatal hose for the heater. We were just about to give up and a drop fell on the mirror we had down to look around. Although a shiny new car car sounds great I will fix her up. I only need 2 more years then I can get what I want now that the Camaro is back on the the road and the wife is happy.

To top it off my mechanics son is in South East part near Tokyo for school and is OK but almost tipped the train they were on off the tracks. He is now trying to get home. Make my problem sound small. As always thanks for listening.

Anything else I should check while we are changing the AC Compressor? What can I expect for a new one?

Woody

The A/C compressor can go for anywhere from $200 to $650, depending on where you get it and what the warranty is. The $650 compressor is an AC/Delco installed by the dealer and guaranteed for the life of the car so long as you have it. Exchange compressors with 90-day warranties can be in the $200 range. No-core compressors can be in the $300 range. People here that have done aftermarket compressors will chime in with prices they were quoted or paid.

The failure mode of the compressor is important. In old age the most common failure is shredding of the reed valves. If not caught early, fragments can go through the system and clog filter screens or even the evaporator orifice.

The accumulator/dryer should be changed whenever you have let the system bleed down for any length of time, or when debris from the compressor (such as reed valve fragments) might be going down the system. If all you have is a locked-up compressor bearing, and the freon hasn't leaked down, all you likely need is the compressor. The accumulator/dryer might be considered a good investment because the silica gel drying agent in it has a finite capacity.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Usually when a compressor goes, it sends debris through out the system. You'll have to replace the accumulator and the condenser (they can't be flushed) as well as the orifice tube and then flush all the remaining lines. If you don't the debris will work it's way back to the compressor and take it out again in short order. It won't be cheap. Probably in the $1000 neighborhood (if you have it done).

Glad to hear your son is OK.

EDIT:

Oops, Jim types faster than I.

If you are not ready to replace your compressor you can by pass it with a shorter belt, I by passed mine for 2 years before I replaced my compressor, do a search here for the part number of the short belt

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have a compressor that I bought when my AC quit, was so irratated without air that I bought one and told my mechanic just replace the darn thing. He informed me Caddy's don't work that way a sensor tells it to shut off, it shuts off. After having the Caddy dealer replace a few bad sensors, it worked. So I have a unit I have no need for, if your interested post back.

All great information and much appreciated.

Pete,

How much are you looking to unload yours for? What brand is it? I have my mechanic checking today for some prices also.

Dave

If you are not ready to replace your compressor you can by pass it with a shorter belt, I by passed mine for 2 years before I replaced my compressor, do a search here for the part number of the short belt

Keep in mind if you bypass the compressor you also change the way the windshield defrost works. In a normally working system the air conditioner drys the air then the heater warms it prior to it blowing on the glass.

Intractable windshield fog is what forced me to get my A/C compressor replaced in 2006. It was a GM Goodwrench compressor that had a clutch that slipped occasionally, and I wanted just the clutch adjusted and had been working that angle. But, the dealer insisted on replacing the whole assembly. Free. The car had about 125,000 miles on it at the time, but I had paid the Goodwrench price a few years previous, and they were anxious to honor the warranty.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I bought the compressor oonline in July of 2006. I paid around 175.00. I don't remeber what make it is, I will have to look for the paperwork if I still have it. I checked the box it has the pag oil and new seals but no invoice. Make me an offer I have no use for it and it's a little late to return it

Archived