CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 DTS Gas Door

I posted a week ago about a maroon 08 that I was ordering from Florida. I changed my mind and ordered the 2008 silver one from Plano Texas. Anyway, it came into the dealership yesterday and I went to take a look at it while we wait on a title from Oklahoma City.

Anyway, I could not locate the button to release the gas door. I finally found that if you pushed it in, it would pop out. All I can say is that is cheesy if you ask me. I see only one benefit to that and that it may be easier to open if ice has formed over the door.

Did all the DTS's go to this or was this the one option that the original owner opted not to get?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I posted a week ago about a maroon 08 that I was ordering from Florida. I changed my mind and ordered the 2008 silver one from Plano Texas. Anyway, it came into the dealership yesterday and I went to take a look at it while we wait on a title from Oklahoma City.

Anyway, I could not locate the button to release the gas door. I finally found that if you pushed it in, it would pop out. All I can say is that is cheesy if you ask me. I see only one benefit to that and that it may be easier to open if ice has formed over the door.

Did all the DTS's go to this or was this the one option that the original owner opted not to get?

My '05 Deville has a button on the dash to release the fuel door. Sounds like another Cadillac feature was removed when the '06 redesign came out.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My 2008 DTS LuxIII is that way too, you just push the door and it opens. I too was very disapointed with that particular improvement since my '99 STS had the button. I eventually came to grips with it in the same way that I did with my Cheerios box getting thinner, but looking the same size on the shelf. Hidden inflation at its best. Coming to a WalMart near you VERY soon!

BTW, I was also dissapointed with road noise at speed on the '08 DTS. Not that it is any worse than my '99 STS, I was just expecting better since it was a III.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Another feature that I liked that is gone is the trunk pull down latch. I know when I looked at an 04 it was gone there too so it's been gone a bit. The dealer with that 04 told me that it was because they would get damaged all of the time from people slamming the trunk lid.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Another feature that I liked that is gone is the trunk pull down latch. I know when I looked at an 04 it was gone there too so it's been gone a bit. The dealer with that 04 told me that it was because they would get damaged all of the time from people slamming the trunk lid.

It takes a lot to damage the power pulldown upper switch. Cadillacs have had the power pulldown since the early 1970s and before that, it was a hydraulic type system. The real reason it is gone is cost cutting.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I wonder how hard it would be to install a power pull down in one of these DTS's.Probably a little cutting and welding with a little bit of wiring.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I wonder how hard it would be to install a power pull down in one of these DTS's.Probably a little cutting and welding with a little bit of wiring.

I considered it but quickly wrote it off as too much work and time involved.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Was it cost? Or liability? I know my dad almost got his fingers stuck in a late 70s trunk pull down. He didn't know there was such a thing when he was back in the 80s at a gas station. He thought it didn't close so he was trying to open it again and stuck his fingers underneath. Luckily someone was there to pop the trunk quick enough.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Was it cost? Or liability? I know my dad almost got his fingers stuck in a late 70s trunk pull down. He didn't know there was such a thing when he was back in the 80s at a gas station. He thought it didn't close so he was trying to open it again and stuck his fingers underneath. Luckily someone was there to pop the trunk quick enough.

It was another cost cutting measure. The power pulldown was used for 30+ years. Before that, there was a hydraulic system that was used.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think it is a shame - now, when other, less luxurious cars are finally starting to have this feature (like Volvo, BMW and others), Cadillac removes it! What is going on? It is one of those little details that still makes people go "oooh" and ask me what kind of car it is (if they don't already know, in which case the reaction is usually one of confirmation: "of course you don't have to slam the trunk shut on this car"). Especially after getting a complement on the ride quality from passengers (happens every now and then), the pull-down after giving them their stuff from the trunk is the "dot over the i".

I think it is great that Cadillac makes some really well-handling cars that perform great on race tracks, but I really hope that they remember to also continue making them comfortable, quiet and full of convenience features. To me, those are some of the core values of a Cadillac. I am not old (I was born in the '80s), and I want a quiet and comfortable ride with lots of room!

I think it is a shame - now, when other, less luxurious cars are finally starting to have this feature (like Volvo, BMW and others), Cadillac removes it! What is going on? It is one of those little details that still makes people go "oooh" and ask me what kind of car it is (if they don't already know, in which case the reaction is usually one of confirmation: "of course you don't have to slam the trunk shut on this car"). Especially after getting a complement on the ride quality from passengers (happens every now and then), the pull-down after giving them their stuff from the trunk is the "dot over the i".

I think it is great that Cadillac makes some really well-handling cars that perform great on race tracks,

but I really hope that they remember to also continue making them comfortable, quiet and full of convenience features.

To me, those are some of the core values of a Cadillac. I am not old (I was born in the '80s), and I want a quiet and comfortable ride with lots of room!

Sadly, they have totally forgot "THAT" part of building cars.

The comfortable and quite part...

The 2011 DTS is the LAST of the big comfortable cars.

The new XTS will be smaller and is aimed more at competing with European cars than giving people big, easy riding, comfortable cars.

I will probably be getting a new DTS this fall, all the while knowing that it is probably the last Cadillac I will ever buy.

I have been driving Cadillacs for over 35 years and it saddens me tremendously to know I am watching the end of a long and wonderful era, of beautiful, comfortable and luxurious automobiles.

Posted Image

It is definitely sad the direction they are going. But, I guess you have to go where the market is and apparently that is the sporty luxury cars. I am very worried about what I'm going to drive in the future. I buy used cars, but in 10 or 20 years, what I am I going to buy? Maybe by then they will have gone back to the comfortable smooth ride that Cadillac is or should I say "was" known for.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

It is definitely sad the direction they are going. But, I guess you have to go where the market is and apparently that is the sporty luxury cars. I am very worried about what I'm going to drive in the future. I buy used cars, but in 10 or 20 years, what I am I going to buy?

Maybe by then they will have gone back to the comfortable smooth ride that Cadillac is or should I say "was" known for.

It really saddens me to say...I don't see that EVER happening again.

We are living thru a huge SHIFT in automobiles...as far as sive, power and comfort go.

When my DTS was in the shop a few weeks ago... I had a 2011 CTS to drive for over a week.

I put about 1000 miles on it.

It wasn't a BASE CAR...It was a nice one... built in Nav... decent stereo..etc.. :)

If I was required to keep it and drive ...I wouldn't trade my DTS with almost 100,000 miles on it, STRAIGHT UP for the new CTS.

It was just a little bit too small and rough riding for my taste.

I constantly felt like I didn't have any ROOM and was too confined.

With the price of fuel continuing to go up...(and I don't see any end in sight for THAT)...

I feel that, over time, everything is going to go to little bitty compact cars with tiny turbocharged diesels.

I am getting old and don't want to fold up like a darn pretzel to get in one of them.

Then there is the getting out... or should I say "TRYING TO" get out. :) :)

After an all day road trip, cramped up in one of those... you would probably need a big pry bar and a small crane to help me get out of it.

In my car.. I can drive it from daylight till dark and not be all stiff and stove up...

But as stated earlier... 2011 is the last of them.

I plan on getting one and drive it for as long as I can.

At my age... it may well be the last car I ever buy.

Posted Image

Archived