CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 DTS

Well, it's been a long time since I was on here. Originally I was a member in the mid 2000's when I had my 93 Seville and 95 SLS. The 93 was sold and the 95 was totaled on one drunk night...Long story, lesson learned. Anyway, I almost bought an 04 Deville a couple of years ago but went with a supercharged GS. It's a nice sleeper. Anyway, yesterday I put the order in for a 2008 DTS that is on a lot over in Florida. I am nervous on this. I have heard that the Northstar motors from the 2000's had head gasket issues and I have a coworker that had a 06 and 07 both with tranny issues. Anyone have any advise on this 08? Anything that I should look out for or anything that I should expect to happen?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Congratulations..

Nice looking automobile. :)

The head bolts were redone in 2004 and I haven't heard of any HG issues since then.

Kinda strange that your coworker had tranny trouble.

The transmissions in the DTS are pretty strong.

I have over 94,000 miles on my 2006 and I have had -0- issues with the transmission.

And I don't just PUTTER AROUND... it gets drove ... :) :)

Posted Image

Congratulations..

Nice looking automobile. :)

The head bolts were redone in 2004 and I haven't heard of any HG issues since then.

Kinda strange that your coworker had tranny trouble.

The transmissions in the DTS are pretty strong.

I have over 94,000 miles on my 2006 and I have had -0- issues with the transmission.

And I don't just PUTTER AROUND... it gets drove ... :) :)

Yea, he said that when he would come to a stop with his 06, he could hear the transmission spinning down and then thud. The 07 he said just quit shifting up in gears. They are electronic shifted so who knows.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Another thing is that this car is coming from Florida. I am hoping that I wont have sheet metal issues down the road due to the salt water in the air down there.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

If it was from inland Florida, there should be nothing to worry about. If it was near the coast, if there was a problem, you would see evidence of corrosion.

I've not heard of any transmission issues with the newer cars. Some of the older ('93-'94) cars had issues with the shift solenoids. Others had issues with the torque converter not locking up (P0741 code) but those are relatively rare.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If it was from inland Florida, there should be nothing to worry about. If it was near the coast, if there was a problem, you would see evidence of corrosion.

I've not heard of any transmission issues with the newer cars. Some of the older ('93-'94) cars had issues with the shift solenoids. Others had issues with the torque converter not locking up (P0741 code) but those are relatively rare.

It appears to have been in Orlando but now is coming from Sanford...So I guess that I would call that inland.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

If it will help ease your mind any...

I am planning on buying another DTS, ( probably 2010 or 2011) when/if this one ever starts giving me issues.

So far...This car has never let me down or left me stranded anywhere in over 94,000 miles.

You can't ask any more of one than that.

Posted Image

Others had issues with the torque converter not locking up (P0741 code) but those are relatively rare.

It seems to be not as rare up here. Out of my 5 northstars that I have owned, 3 of them had the P0741. Maybe I just have horrible luck. I also test drove another 99 identical to my current 99, but with a soft top and it had the P0741 code also. That one had 84,000 miles on that one. So I guess you could say 4 out of 6, but I didn't own that last one.

I called a transmission shop to see if my shudder/surge on my 99 was related to anything in the transmission and I started out by asking if they could check to see if there is anything wrong with my tranny and he immediately said "P0741, huh?" It must be pretty common if that's the first thing a transmission shop would ask.

...or that guy has the same luck as me. But his would be good luck :P;)

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Yeah, the P0741 is somewhat common and more so than it should be. I have it myself (occasionally). That said, it is relatively harmless, unless you need to pass an emissions test. Maybe it has been addressed by 2008.

Yeah, the P0741 is somewhat common and more so than it should be. I have it myself (occasionally). That said, it is relatively harmless, unless you need to pass an emissions test. Maybe it has been addressed by 2008.

On the "OTHER" forum... in the DTS section...I have not heard of ANY 2006 and newer having the P0741 issue.

A few of them have well over 140,000 miles on them.

Not saying it's never happened.. but if so.. I haven't heard about it.

My 2006 has almost 95,000 and so far.. so good... :)

Posted Image

• 8 years later...

We have 179,000 miles on ours and it is still a great car.  This has probably been the best car we have ever owned.  Put on third set of tires at 152k, wore the original brakes out at 165k.  Engine still very powerful and uses about 1 qt of oil per 5,500 miles.  Have changed the oil when information center says to change it.  A few problems such as front struts, wheel bearings, ball joints and rear air suspension have been replaced but it was expected with the number of miles.  Good for another 150,000. 

Archived