CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Eldorado Overheated

nick2nd

Today I was driving my 1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC. I started it up and it only blew cold air. I drove it for a bit, and the heat gage rose into the hot stage. I stopped the car immediately. Then waited a few minutes, started it up. All of a sudden the cold air blowing out turned to heat like it was supposed to. I drove it for twenty miles and did not have a problem. Then the car did the same thing again. I shut it off, started it and was fine for another twenty miles. Then it did it again, the notification came up to change engine oil and I scrolled through the menu and said there was 0% oil life left. I just changed the oil a week ago. I got the car home, checked the oil levels and it was full. I also looked into the coolant tank and it was full. There wasn't any steam coming off or anything. There also wasn't any pressure build up when I unscrewed the the cap. The engine wasn't really hot to touch either. Is this a thermostat problem or the beginning signs of the head gasket problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the purge line coming from the engine to the coolant tank and make sure it is flowing.

I'll do that. Thanks!

If it is "NOT" flowing...check the "BOLT WITH A HOLE IN IT" for blockage...on the engine side of the purge line.

Posted Image

ok if you just changed the oil last week and reset the monitor then that means that the ECT(engine coolant temp) was overheated and possibly The engine had gone into limp mode.

When you overheat a Northstar the oil life monitor goes to 0 automatically but If i recall only if it comes up with the stop engine warning comes on.

It happened with my eldorado

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

ok if you just changed the oil last week and reset the monitor then that means that the ECT(engine coolant temp) was overheated and possibly The engine had gone into limp mode.

When you overheat a Northstar the oil life monitor goes to 0 automatically but If i recall only if it comes up with the stop engine warning comes on.

It happened with my eldorado

When this happened, what was the problem with the car? Is it something really serious or something that can be taken care of easily?

Once the PCM detects the engine overheated it tells you to change the oil no matter if it hit that temp for 10 seconds or you drove it 50 miles in limp mode.You need to find out why it got hot, I would check the purge line and bolt as stated earlier and that your fan relays are working. I would put my money on the purge line because you didn't lose fluid but lost heat. Then check the thermostat.

All of a sudden the cold air blowing out turned to heat like it was supposed to. I drove it for twenty miles and did not have a problem. Then the car did the same thing again.

Sound like you have air in the system. If the purge line is clear you might consider a block test to determine if there is combustion gases in the coolant.

mine was overheated, it showed hot temp for more than 10 seconds. Mine was failed headgasket. exhaust gasses were being purged into the system on acceleration and causing no heat and rapid overheating

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived