CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Most Effective Upgrade?

yenko

Better filter in addition to a new exhaust system will free up some hp. If you want the most horses, then you might want to install some sort of solenoid to deactivate the mufflers from the rest of the exhaust when you want. I've heard there's a new turbine metal piece you slip into your air filter that frees up 15 horses or so, I ordered one and will tell everyone how it works once it's in.

Hmmm.... you'll probably want to avoid rims bigger than 17 inches if you want the best performance and avoid body kits, and what not.

LOL, yep I too fell for the useless gimick. In installing I found that it didn't work, part of the problem I feel was that it wasn't tight in the air cleaner tube. I had a 95 Formula with 5.7 and in trying to get a little more out of it one of the mods I did was the addition of a small piece of aluminum that attached to the front of the throttel body that change somthing with the airflow, it helped. With this in mind I moved the air foil into the neck where it bends 90 degrees so that it is wedged in tightly, it seems to make a difference. I've compared with and without and have decided to leave installed. This is in addition to K&N and exhaust mods.

sebring06RTP.jpg

tornadoproduct.jpg

It's shaped like that - slips into the actual air filter tube and displaces the air as it comes in, making it move faster.

Dyno results show about a 13 hp increase

That thing is snake oil....Whose dyno test results show a 13 HP increase??? Let me guess - the seller of the device.

If it was that easy to get 13 HP, the car would have one of those devices from the factory.....Have your car dyno tested before and after the installation of that device to see the real "increase". You will probably see a drop in HP since you're adding a restriction in the intake...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The purpose of the MAF screen is to smooth out the airflow so the MAF sensor can obtain an accurate reading.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I say it's 100% Snake Oil. If 13 HP was actually documented, every car mag in the US would be doing a write-up on this thing.

This product is like the one introduced years ago for carburetors that proposed to increase fuel mileage. It was little more than a mesh screen, but was suppose to increase your mileage by double digit percent through better atomization of the gas.

People have been selling snake oils for years. I have a copy of "Automotive Digest" from December 1924 and it contains an ad for some carburetor that is supposed to double the mileage for any vehicle you put it on. It even lists "success stories" from alleged owners. Looks exactly like a modern day advertisement.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

How about those rare earth magnets you strap to the fuel line to get the fuel molecules lined up so they flow better thereby improving injector ionization and efficiency? I heard the military bought them! :rolleyes:

By the way, I took my filter air box out this weekend and it looks like there is a CPU in there or something they want to cool that has cooling vanes on it, anyone know what it is?

By the way, RAM-AIR was popular in the DAY...see illustration below:

post-3-1095122026.jpg

I seem to recall Guru saying that thing gets warm enough to need cooling. Another reason not to use a K & N. Cool intake air is more dense and better for performance but you need warm air for anti-icing capability. There I go, talking like a flight dispatcher again. If you think back to the carb days, you will recall heat tubes off the exhaust manifold to the snorkle to provide carb heat. I guess we can't have it both ways though I do recall my '69 RoadRunner had a cable that would open the hood louvers to break ambient air. You just had to be aware enough to close it if it started to ice up the carb.

How about those rare earth magnets you strap to the fuel line to get the fuel molecules lined up so they flow better thereby improving injector ionization and efficiency?

I ordered one of those, except mine is a big waist band, like a belt, wrapping around my waist. The infomercial says that it zips the poop through my shooter faster and it will increase my running efficiency.

Do they make any Ram Air products/Protruding Intakes for Caddies? I know you can buy those universal ones, but I think we all prefer literal tubes and sensors that go to the engine and nice little buttons in the cabin when we buy these products, not just screw-on head mounts. I don't know why I ask, I assume we all do a google on "199x Cadillac (Model) upgrades" weekly.

From what I've seen, the truck hot rodders are getting all of the nice new engine products when it comes to old-school performance upgrades.

And by the way, I picked up my "air intake turbine" for three bucks at a garage sale, off a '95 Seville. The guy said gas mileage took a dip with his, I can see why, it's about four times as long as the one in the picture. Just curious what other people knew on these.

That link I sent back there was from a Consumer Reports thing, but I don't know if you can access that part of the site if you're not logged in to CR.com

Let me know.

Archived