CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to tell if RIM module is bad

roxnjer

I have a 98 SLS that is doing some strange electrical things. I think that the RIM behind the back seat might be bad but how do I tell if it is good or bad? If it is bad then where do I get a new/used one?

Jerry

I am the proud owner of a 98 black/black SLS. My neighbor bought it 3 years used and only drove it 300 miles before he died. I bought it from his estate in 05 for the loan pay off to help them out, and ended up with a fantastic car beyond my expectations. It has been stored inside since 01 and is never driven in the winter. It has 89k on it. I change the antifreeze every other year and try to baby/enjoy it as much as I can. With that said I am now trying to solve an electrical issue I help create. I have search the forums and have done some inspecting of the car. Also, I did buy the three factory manual's a while back.

Last month I had the SLS sitting out under a shade tree with the windows down when a bad pop up storm (hard rain) hit while I was across town. When I returned home I dried everything best I could and pulled the SLS inside and left the doors open so it would dry out. I did not disconnect the battery as I knew it would turn it's self off after a bit. I let it dry for a week and was surprised to find the battery dead when I went to drive it. I charged the battery and went for a drive. I noticed that the fuel gauge read empty and I had just filled it. I un hooked the battery for a while and then reconnected it but still no reading. The next day I found the battery dead again, so then I started paying attention. The dome light wants to stay on and I have 3 relays under the back seat that click non stop. They all click together about 2x a second or so. If I unplug the RIM behind the back seat they stop. If I un plug the DDM in the drivers door they stop. The relays are #51-Int-lp #53 frt ctsy #54 rr ctsy. I pulled the codes and I have only one, PCM P0462-fuel gauge low voltage. I have pulled the three relays and everything except the (interior lights) and the fuel gauge seems to work ok. I have removed all the seats and inspected the wiring below the carpeting. All is clean and dry down there. The only odd thing that I noticed was the lights in my drivers door switches would flash without any rhythm when the relays were clicking with great rhythm. The other door switches were not flashing and this is why I tried un plugging the DDM. Any advise would help as I do not know what to do next. Thanks for reading this.

Jerry

Update #2

I found the battery dead again this morning. I am recharging the battery and find the damper relay hot so I am unplugging it. I checked the grounds for the RIM (G401) and all is clean and tight.

Jerry

Check your wiring diagrams...to see if the DDM feeds into the RIM.

If it does you may have found your relay clicking problem.

I think the fuel gauge problem is separate from the relay clicking problem.

I don't know the wiring on yor car so this is just my opinion and kind of a WAG. :D

Posted Image

Found A RIM module on ebay and it fixed my problems. It was being sold by Motor city auto parts. I talked to Sean, he was very knowledgable and specializes in Caddy parts. You can call him at 313-998-2828. They are very reasonably priced and have a large area inventory at their disposal. They do ship but I went and picked up mine because I was only an hour or so away and I was going to change parts till I solved it. He let me try it first even before I paid for it just incase it was not my problem. He offered to sell me a woodgrain steering wheel also but I declined as I was just happy to get my SLS back to 100% and did not want another project.

Jerry

Woodgrain steering wheel??? WANT!

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would have bought the wheel. Did tht happen to fix the fuel gauge issue?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived