CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Groaning sound at first movements

So when I start driving when my car is cold, I hear a groaning sound. It sounds sort of like the suspension creaking, and for all I know it could be, but it happens at about 2000 rpms and sounds like it's more dependent on the throttle than movement. It's also a longer sound than a suspension creak, I haven't had a creaky suspension up til now, and in general just sounds like something other than the suspension. It only happens for the first minute, and only when the car is cold. Any ideas? Oil is full, belts and tensioners are new, trans fluid is full, and there are no new codes.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Check the engine cradle for rust/deterioration and worn bushings, including loose bolts, etc. Also, check the the inner, rear bushings as the cradle could have rusted through causing bushing(s) to pop out. There is one bushing on each side in the front and two bushing on each side at the rear of the cradle.

So when I start driving when my car is cold, I hear a groaning sound. It sounds sort of like the suspension creaking, and for all I know it could be, but it happens at about 2000 rpms and sounds like it's more dependent on the throttle than movement. It's also a longer sound than a suspension creak, I haven't had a creaky suspension up til now, and in general just sounds like something other than the suspension. It only happens for the first minute, and only when the car is cold. Any ideas? Oil is full, belts and tensioners are new, trans fluid is full, and there are no new codes.

Yep, my suspension creeks too when I get started in the morning :wacko: That's MY suspension, not the car. :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The PCV valve hose can be getting soft and collapsing, making a raspberry-like groaning sound. Check all the vacuum hoses, particularly the PCV valve hose.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You say its RPM dependent, more induced by throttle than movement

Check your idler pulley, tensioner, alternator bearing and AC hub bearing. Look for voids and shininess in the serpentine belt.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived