CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 engine

greggyc

Hello all, I'm about to swap for a 94 Deville with a 4.9 in it. I once had a 92 and loved it, traded it for a 95 Eldo with a Northstar in it....trouble from day one...traded that for a Camry. Anyone have any horror stories about the 4.9? I have some about the northstar

I just bought a '94 Deville w/ the 4.9L and have had a few quirks with the car, but no big complaints with the motor so far...fingers crossed...now that I just made that statement. :) Just simple things that I've had to fix and a couple I'm currently working on...ISC/idle problem. I'd have no reservations as long as it's been maintained well. I LOVE MY NEW CADDY!

My previous Deville had a slight idle problem too, but not too serious. My biggest beef was with the gas tank...the baffles in it apparently disintegrated so the gas would slosh around if below 1/2 full and the engine would die! But it always started right back up!

I hope I love this DeVille as much as the other one.

My '92 Seville SLS has the 4.9 and it's a great engine.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

ITs one of the best engines GM has ever made. Lots of power, trouble free and easy to work on. The on-board computer helps with troubleshooting and diagnostics. Mine had 128,000 miles never used oil, sat for six months, I charged the battery and it started immediately. The oil was changed during its life every 4,000 miles. Proper maintenance is important as with anything including the computer you are using. If the prior owner took reasonable care of the car you should be ok, that includes oil changes, coolant flushing including coolant supplement. See if you can get the maintenance records. If you expect to get into a 94 and have NO problems, think again, if you are irked by little problems you probably will not be happy remember its an 11 year old car. How many miles are on the car? Personally, when I get a car like the one you are about to purchase, I spend about $500 on parts and just overhaul anything that looks boarderline (vacuum hoses and cooling system hoses, filters, tune up, belts, gaskets, AC charge, brakes, and anything worn out like tensioners, idler wheels) using ONLY OEM parts, this way I get rid of any potenial problems and I get to KNOW the car, to me that is called PM as in preventative maintanance. If the engine has any weakness in my humble opinion its the water pump. When it goes it goes spontaneously with virtually no warning, not like in the old days where it would make noise for a couple of weeks. If you replace the water pump buy a new one NOT rebuilt the difference in cost is not that great. This board is a great resource for information and I could not own my car without it, Good Luck

Hey Scotty!

In regards to the power steering pump, Gmotors quoted me $274.00 (OEM-I imagine) versus Rockauto.com for around $70.00, which would you buy...quite a price difference. BTW, the ISC motor is $81 at Gmotors versus $71 at rockauto.com

Hi,

It seems to be a great engine to me! Although I have only driven it for a couple weeks. It has gobs of low end power, haha! I pressed the pedal half way down and it flew. I have never done a WOT yet; I am a little scared, haha! I stored mine all winter and it started up with no problems. I like it!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Hey Scotty!

In regards to the power steering pump, Gmotors quoted me $274.00 (OEM-I imagine) versus Rockauto.com for around $70.00, which would you buy...quite a price difference. BTW, the ISC motor is $81 at Gmotors versus $71 at rockauto.com

That is quite a difference I would go for the aftermarket, Gmotors has good prices when compared to walking in off the street to a caddy dealer...

my 92 ETC has the 4.9, and I love it. NO probelms so far and i've had it for a year now. Lots of power, and very reliable. My previous caddy had the 4.1 and i sold it (running fine) at 208k. My eldo has 68k. If you mantain them these engine will go forever. I got to talking with a fellow caddy owner in a parking lot one day, and he told me his other caddy had over 300k!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I love the 4.9l and personally If I had the choice it would still be around as a base engine.......some even say that the 4.9 seems more powerful because of its low end torque.........given the circumstances years down the road when I sell this one, if I find a really low mileage 91-93 Ill buy it again....and mine has only 53k I plan to get at least 100k out of it.

It works for me, I gave it to my sixteen year old son with 93,000 miles. In the three years that he has had it no problems other than normal maintenance. Currently it has a 165,000 miles and still running strong. If he can't break it then thumbs up for the 4.9.

wr

I have a 92 Seville with 112000 miles on the clock. That 4.9 is great. When I bought the car I was also looking at a 93 STS with the Northstar but I was a little gun shy because of some of the stories I had heard. Anyway I have no regrets. I don't think I'm missing anything. The great looks with none of the early Northstar problems.

What you are missing is exilirating performance! The "problems" you hear about are mostly due to inadequate maintenance. On a board such as this, you hear the problems but rarely hear about the other 99.999% of the engines that are just fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived