CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 STS

Jason15036

OH BOY! I did those twice, with the help of a neighbor who was a mechanic. All I remember is it is definately not fun, need a special crimp tool for the boot clamp band, and large snap ring pliers as I recall. Filthy job, grease up to my elbows. Hope I never have to do that again. As a matter of fact I doubt I ever will.

OH BOY! I did those twice, with the help of a neighbor who was a mechanic. All I remember is it is definately not fun, need a special crimp tool for the boot clamp band, and large snap ring pliers as I recall. Filthy job, grease up to my elbows. Hope I never have to do that again. As a matter of fact I doubt I ever will.

:lol: that was encourageing...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Don't know about Cadillac, however with other GM cars you can go almost any auto parts store and get a whole rebuilt assembly (Inner/outer CV joint and shaft) for a very reasonable price.

Then all you have to do is disconnect at the wheel and pop out the old shaft from the tranny and pop the new *smurf*'y back in.

No grease, no special wrenches, no mess.

Likely cheaper to do that yourself, than to pay a shop to replace just the CV joint.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I tend to agree on the rebuilt axles but make sure to get an axle that has the OEM style boots. The soft boots on many of the remans do not hold up very well and you'll be changing the axle again and again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived