CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 cadillac sedan deville

Albert

I have never had the message on the dash concerning the speed suspension system yet my car rides hard..Iam the 2nd owner and the car has only 46,000 miles. I checked the codes on the dash and no codes appear..the last code that shows is PCM?

I have had the car checked at the Cadillac dealer and they drove the car and then back in the garage and disconnected the electronic at each of the struts and drove it again and said they got the same ride..they indicated it may be the tires,I had a new set of tires put on ( loaned to me ) and I still get the same ride.

I have put the car in storage for the last 5 winters..this is the 1st year that I have driven it through the winter and into summer.

I think that the struts( front and or back) are bad.

Is there a way for a mechanic to test the system to see why I am getting a hard ride, yet I get no message at the dash and no error codes appear. I am aware of the conversion kits,etc but my feeling is that the struts are not getting electronic message to adjust and maybe stuck in a hard ride mode.

Thanks for the info..my car is level all the way around..it's just a hard ride..I think it is more of an electronic problem than the struts themselves, even though I am not getting any messages that there is a problem with the suspension.

Thanks for the info..my car is level all the way around..it's just a hard ride..I think it is more of an electronic problem than the struts themselves, even though I am not getting any messages that there is a problem with the suspension.

Seems like if it were a sensor it would pop up in the diagnostic codes. Try PM'ing one of the admins - they're really good at helping trouble shoot this stuff

No Need to "PM" or Send a Personal Message to an admin. We are all here to help. and posting here is all you need to do.

it's unclear if your diagnosis meant reading the codes using the "off&warmer" method or just looking at the Driver messages. post any history & current codes you have if any.

Was any work done on the car recently - especially brakes?

a typical issue is that one of the connectors on the leveling sensors on one of the wheels might have come loose, have been disconnected, or a corrosion issue is shorting out the connector.

when you first start the car, aside from the fuel pump priming, is there any other pump/motor noise coming from the rear that seems to last for a while? (I'm thinking maybe an air leak or a disconnected line in one of the rear air shocks.

keep us posted on your findings.

ok 2 of the thongs you need to look at are the leveling sensors at the front and rear wheels and make sure one of them is not bent or damaged.

The other thing you need to check is by going into diagnostic mmode in the cluster for the ride control and perform the test that cycles the compressor to come on then exhaust t.repeatedly. Then you can find out if the compressor is inflating and deflating properly

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

IMO..The ride control feature was kind of a silly feature. After 30k miles, the bushings would be broken in enough you certainly could not detect the feature turning on and off.

I dont think you could really detect the ride control function on a new car.

Not to be confused with the rear level control. 2 different things.

Here is...a 15 year old 1995 vehicle. Ride feel will be related to the condition of each and every bushing and rubber coupling on the car plus the tires and shocks.

IMO..The ride control feature was kind of a silly feature. After 30k miles, the bushings would be broken in enough you certainly could not detect the feature turning on and off.

I dont think you could really detect the ride control function on a new car.

Not to be confused with the rear level control. 2 different things.

Here is...a 15 year old 1995 vehicle. Ride feel will be related to the condition of each and every bushing and rubber coupling on the car plus the tires and shocks.

Logan,

does this '95 or my '96 have ride control? I will be pleasantly surprised if it does. I thought this vintage only had leveling control.

Also not to hijack this thread, but if I am driving at a high speed on a highway, and hit a deep puddle, and the wheel sensors detect a loss of control (there was a loss of control indeed!!), and I DO NOT apply the brakes, will anti lock braking kick in? I realy thought I felt it kick in.

I wouldn't call it silly exactly, but it certainly wasn't explained very well to the buyers. I could certainly tell the difference in my 99 STS, even with 80,000 miles on it. The trouble was, the effects could not be felt below 60 mph. As my speed would increase above that point, I could feel the suspension firm up dramatically. Then there is the infamous "speed limited to 90" message that should be the final hint on how the system was supposed to work in 1999. 1995 is probably a different story altogether, and I think I read somewhere that the shocks back then would only switch from soft to firm under certain driving situations, most likely based on speed alone. If this is true, your shocks "MAY" be stuck internally in the firm setting, likely no codes would be set in this instance.

There is also the issue of libility that enters the picture. Caddy could not advertise the fact that the suspension would firm up at speeds at or over the legal limit, so they had to come up with a deliberately vague description of the system.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

No Need to "PM" or Send a Personal Message to an admin. We are all here to help. and posting here is all you need to do.

it's unclear if your diagnosis meant reading the codes using the "off&warmer" method or just looking at the Driver messages. post any history & current codes you have if any.

a typical issue is that one of the connectors on the leveling sensors on one of the wheels might have come loose, have been disconnected, or a corrosion issue is shorting out the connector.

when you first start the car, aside from the fuel pump priming, is there any other pump/motor noise coming from the rear that seems to last for a while? (I'm thinking maybe an air leak or a disconnected line in one of the rear air shocks.

Archived