CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Did you ever notice...

stefank

At least the German spec cars wear a different hood ornament than the US cars.

Ours are closed on the top, must have to do with safety regulations...or do you have these in the US too?

Best,

Stefan

post-3-1092597211.jpg

I think the reasoning behind the changeover to flexible Cadillac hood emblems was more to combat the damage caused to automatic car washes as well as nasty children/adults who enjoy vandalizing cars by snapping off the hood ornaments.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

wierd... i have never seen anything like that...also, i was annoyed when the 2000 devilles came out and the emblem felt like cheap, flexible plastic... I understand now about the carwashes, although I was delighted to see that on the new 2002 + w/ the new emblems they went back to metal.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

At least the German spec cars wear a different hood ornament than the US cars.

Ours are closed on the top, must have to do with safety regulations...or do you have these in the US too?

Best,

Stefan

My guess would be for strength. Not too many places in the states that one can driver over 100mph. And lets say you're doing a modest 130mph with a 30 mph headwind. My guess is that an open wreath wouldn't fare well at 160mph. That's a great deal of stress........ now imagine a good sized bug smacking into one of the prongs on and open wreath at that speed. Yeah I'd want my wreath closed too.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I was delighted to see that on the new 2002 + w/ the new emblems they went back to metal.

Chris

Yeah but the upper portion of the emblem and the ducks are missing now... <_<

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

hahaha,

I like the idea of the bottle opener! Maybe I try that one day...or better not. Those ornaments are darn expensive over here. I hope that it won't be stolen one day anyway.

Interesting idea about the strength at speed. I had the car up to 220kph once, then the speed limiter kicked in. It would have gone faster, but it doesn't feel that stable at these speeds anyway, so I guess it's fast enough.

Scotty, the 59 Cadillacs are much adored over here, for many people it's THE fifties american car. Can't imagine someone cutting the fins off :o

Stefan

BTW my ornament shows the point where my right tires will move next ( while driving straight) and the lower edge of the driver side mirror the plane where my bumper will stop... :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived