CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

02 deville start up

jess408

Please tell us what you mean by "winding noise." Also, read the OBD codes, write them down, and post them here. There is a link in my signature block with instructions on how to do it. The codes will be of the form

PCM P0101 HISTORY

The important part is the letter and four digits, P0101 in the example, and the suffix HISTORY or CURRENT. Also, if there are any warning lights on, like "Check Engine," RSS, etc., write that down too.

A quick check for a whining noise might be to look at the power steering fluid level. If it's low, pick an additive recommended for your car that also has an additive to soften seals and thus fix leaks. The PCV valve or its hose can also make a whistling noise when the car is cold.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks for the info! ill check the codes right now.... when the car is cold it wines and almost sounds like its metal to metal grinding going on for 2 min. then it stops.. no warning lights come on or leaks of some sort. all fulids are fine.after a the car warms up, its good at every start up., till it sits for a few hours again.... ill send you the codes as soon as i get them. thanks a lot for you help.

Please tell us what you mean by "winding noise." Also, read the OBD codes, write them down, and post them here. There is a link in my signature block with instructions on how to do it. The codes will be of the form

PCM P0101 HISTORY

The important part is the letter and four digits, P0101 in the example, and the suffix HISTORY or CURRENT. Also, if there are any warning lights on, like "Check Engine," RSS, etc., write that down too.

A quick check for a whining noise might be to look at the power steering fluid level. If it's low, pick an additive recommended for your car that also has an additive to soften seals and thus fix leaks. The PCV valve or its hose can also make a whistling noise when the car is cold.

....when the car is cold it wines and almost sounds like its metal to metal grinding going on for 2 min. then it stops.. no warning lights come on or leaks of some sort. all fulids are fine.after a the car warms up, its good at every start up., till it sits for a few hours again.

You "might be" trying to describe the sound of the secondary air injection system pump motor. The OBDII standard code allocation calls this system AIR. And the purpose of AIR is to pump/push atmospheric air pressure into the exhaust system (at cold engine start) to cause the catalytic converter to reach operating temperature as soon as possible.

Since you did not report any AIR trouble codes, you might be faced with learning to live with the noise until an AIR code is set. Which would also trigger the SERVICE ENGINE SOON message for you.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

DDM Drivers Door Module

I don't have a code with the numbers 7350. All the codes in my data base are under 4000. The next time you run the codes, please check to see if "id 7350" is correct. It might well be correct; I don't have manufacturer-specific codes for 2000 and later cars.

PDM Passenger Door Module

U1713 Loss of Front Door Module to Window Motor High Speed Comm.

RCC Rear Climate Control

U1000 Class 2 Communication Malfunction

IPM Instrument Panel Integration Module

B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance (CURRENT!)

The first three codes seem to be minor communication glitches, and they are all HISTORY. It looks like the main problem may be the HVAC temperature control doors trying to move when something is stuck. Is this noise coming from under the dashboard or from the console between the front seats?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

DDM Drivers Door Module

I don't have a code with the numbers 7350. All the codes in my data base are under 4000. The next time you run the codes, please check to see if "id 7350" is correct. It might well be correct; I don't have manufacturer-specific codes for 2000 and later cars.

RCC Rear Climate Control

The first three codes seem to be minor communication glitches, and they are all HISTORY. It looks like the main problem may be the HVAC temperature control doors trying to move when something is stuck. Is this noise coming from under the dashboard or from the console between the front seats?

this noise is loud and coming form the engine compartment.

....when the car is cold it wines and almost sounds like its metal to metal grinding going on for 2 min. then it stops.. no warning lights come on or leaks of some sort. all fulids are fine.after a the car warms up, its good at every start up., till it sits for a few hours again.

You "might be" trying to describe the sound of the secondary air injection system pump motor. The OBDII standard code allocation calls this system AIR. And the purpose of AIR is to pump/push atmospheric air pressure into the exhaust system (at cold engine start) to cause the catalytic converter to reach operating temperature as soon as possible.

Since you did not report any AIR trouble codes, you might be faced with learning to live with the noise until an AIR code is set. Which would also trigger the SERVICE ENGINE SOON message for you.

Why not pop the hood and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from? The most likely sources are low power steering fluid, the A/C compressor clutch bearing, and the serpentine belt idler. I don't know where the AIR pump is so I can't comment there.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth-- I had a similar problem on a 2001 DeVille. A medium pitch screaming whine on engine start that sounded like a starter problem. Hard to pinpoint with one person. It was a Secondary Air Injection pump issue. I replaced 3 of them in about 3 years (8-2004,2-2005 and 4-2007). The last one had a modified air intake hose included. The intake hose plugged into the engine air filter box. There was a hole already cut out in the filter box to accommodate the tube (if the filter box hole was already there, why wasn't the hose mounted there originally??. The original setup had the intake hose end hanging in free air apparently allowing ingestion of rain water/mist allowing the bearings to fail. Haven't had a problem since.

Pump is located forward of left front wheel. Remove L/F tire and wheel well liner. Look forward and it is in the vicinity of Elec Brake Control Module and the horn. I paid $119.00 (with a 20-25% discount). I replaced it myself. It wasn't a snap to replace, but with some metric tools and gentle persuasion, not too bad. Maybe this will provide some help. Good luck.

I had the same problem on my '99 STS. Noise only happened in the winter (very cold), and then only for a few seconds before it quieted down. I determined that it was the secondary air pump using the feedback I got from this board. It never got bad enough to set a code. Just noisy bearings. Same thing happened to my neighbor's Aroura, but he had the dealership replace his.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 5 years later...

DDM Drivers Door Module

RCC Rear Climate Control

I have the exact same noise in my 99`Seville STS. Only when cold outside upon startup and lasts a minute or two. Definitely comes from the dashboard far left and sounds like an actuator trying to move a flap. Will follow instructions on reading codes and see what kind of codes are there. The Service Engine Soon light was on a few days and disappeared, but didn`t seem to correspond with the noise.

Find out for sure whether it is from under the hood or under the dashboard by starting the car cold with the hood up and listening. If it's under the hood, it's probably the AIR pump, from what others said when the thread was fresh.

The actuators are electrical so if one of them is not functioning it should throw an OBD code. If it is just noisy, it may not throw a code so long as it works.

There is an aspirator in the dash that can make noise when cold. It is a small fan not unlike the fans we have in laptops and desktops and it can get noisy. Its function is to pull cabin air in over a temp sensor for the HVAC system. Listen closely.

See this link

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=35525&hl=aspirator#entry182216

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived