CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS Northstar

pats37

I have been noticing posts on changing the coolant on aluminum blocks. Is this determined by time or mileage? Car was purchased new and just turned 25k miles.

If it should be changed, should it be flushed and changed or just changed?

Thanks, Pat

The main expert - Bbon recommends draining and refilling WITHOUT flushing. Add some Bar's Leaks gold pellets ( I do not know how many, probably 3 pellets). Just disconnect the lower rad hose, drain whatever gets out, put pellets in the same hose (as far as you can) reconnect and refill with right coolant. Check the level after driving for a while and add as necessary.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have been noticing posts on changing the coolant on aluminum blocks. Is this determined by time or mileage? Car was purchased new and just turned 25k miles.

If it should be changed, should it be flushed and changed or just changed?

Thanks, Pat

Be advised that if green coolant was ever used instead of dexcool, the change period drops from every 5 years to every 2 years. Mike

Go get 1 gallon of dexcool. get a 2 gallon container (bucket) and a funnel.

Pour the 1 gallon of dexcool into the bucket, fill up the dexcool container with water and then pour into bucket. Get 2 tubes of bars leak gold. Open the radiator drain with a socket (i forget what size). Take out the bottom radiator hose off of the water pump with vice grips to hold the clamp and dump out the coolant in there too. Take the bigger hose off of the coolant tank and empty that........ I removed my whole coolant tank and flushed it out which is what it says in the FSM... then just wait until it's all out, put the 2 tubes into the hose, clamp it back up, put the tank back on ,etc.. then it should fill up with slightly less than the 2 gallons you have. Check it a few times after driving around and fill more up if necessary.. mine took almost the whole 2 gallons even though the system h as about 3 gallons in it you can't really get the other gallon out of the engine.. I'd change it every 4.5 years or 100k miles just to be safe, especially on this engine :> hope this helps. Cost you about $10 to change the coolant heheh

It has also been recomended to use distilled water rather than tap water to prevent introducing contaminants from the water such a calcium, lime and what ever other crap is in the water that is ok for us to drink :blink:

I use the filtered water that comes out of my fridge :)

WOrks well

The filter on your refrigerator will not remove the mineral matter that is dissolved in the water - it will only remove the insoluble minerals. Distilled water has no mineral content and is what's recommended to be mixed with the coolant. For the extra buck that the distilled water costs, why risk it?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived