CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Back freaking seat removal

Rickster

There has to be an easy way to do this. Trying to push the seat back is near impossible. As far as I can tell. Any one have the "Cadbury" secret to this?

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

no trick to it, as I said, its a *smurf* to get out, and even MORE if a *smurf* to get in. There is no other way to do it other than moving the front seats as far forward as possible and pushing toward the rear using the frame at the bottom, it will come out.. Now getting it in is harder... Mike

I haven't removed one in many, many moons but I remember my method. I had always pushed the front seatbacks down and sat on them. Then used my feet to give the stubborn seat a good hard shove. Worked every time.

I may be wroung , but my neighbor has a 01, left interior light on and battery went dead. battery underneath rear seat. Iworked 30 minutes ,pushing in and pulling up on back seat . THOUGHT i was going to die, he had somekind of special dealer warranty , called number and a guy from the CAD shop came out, took him 30 seconds, he told me YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO PUSH IN AND THEN LIFT UP , JUST JERK STRAIGHT UP, after he jumped car to recharge battery, HE had me get in the car grab rear seat with one hand under the frount frame of the middle of left seat cushion , and put other hand in middle of right seat cushion , and jerk straight up, SHZZZAM CAME right out. Somewhere along the line they changed , from the old push in and pull up , too pull straight up. For some reason when you do it the old way it is almost impossible to get out. YOU might try this on your car. by the way the in box owners manual says pull up.

I may be wroung , but my neighbor has a 01, left interior light on and battery went dead. battery underneath rear seat. Iworked 30 minutes ,pushing in and pulling up on back seat . THOUGHT i was going to die, he had somekind of special dealer warranty , called number and a guy from the CAD shop came out, took him 30 seconds, he told me YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO PUSH IN AND THEN LIFT UP , JUST JERK STRAIGHT UP, after he jumped car to recharge battery, HE had me get in the car grab rear seat with one hand under the frount frame of the middle of left seat cushion , and put other hand in middle of right seat cushion , and jerk straight up, SHZZZAM CAME right out. Somewhere along the line they changed , from the old push in and pull up , too pull straight up. For some reason when you do it the old way it is almost impossible to get out. YOU might try this on your car. by the way the in box owners manual says pull up.

No, you are right. The rear seat just pulls up. Takes a couple of seconds.

Ian

Thanks gang. I'll gve it a go this aft.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

no trick to it, as I said, its a *smurf* to get out, and even MORE if a *smurf* to get in. There is no other way to do it other than moving the front seats as far forward as possible and pushing toward the rear using the frame at the bottom, it will come out.. Now getting it in is harder... Mike

I was mistaken, thinking about the old style where you had to push and lift, I have always had a hard time with them...

I was looking at the owners manual (97 G platform) and low and behold, in a section about the battery... The battery in under the rear seat, pull up on the seat to get to it. When all else fails... You know the rest...

rek

The rear seat retention method has changed with the 1998+ cars. Pre-'98 cars needed the seat pushed rearward prior to lifting up which could be quite difficult.

I've had the rear seats out of both of my Cadillacs - the Fleetwood RWD was easy to push back and remove while the Seville was difficult.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived