CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best used Sports Sedan under 30K?

Bruce Nunnally

Winding Road magazine did an article on their pick for Best Used Sports Sedan under 30K entitle "Second Hand Gems" page 189: http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/54/

Finalists:

2007 BMW 335i

2007 Dodge Charger SRT8

2007 Audi S4

2007 Cadillac CTS-V

Their pick? The Cadillac CTS-V. Why? Character; distinctive styling; world class performance; high luxury, comfort, and refinement without being pretentious.

An outstanding performance value.

Simply outstanding.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

This is what you have been wanting to hear Bruce!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

So speaking of which, would it be better to purchase a 2007 CTS-V or a 2007 STS-V?

The CTS-V has 400 hp but lots of mods available, and weighs a bit less.

The STS-V has 469 hp, some mods available, weighs a bit more, but has more room and features.

Both have leather, nav, sunroof.

The STS-V only comes with a 6-speed automatic; the CTS-V (in 07) only with a 6-speed manual.

They cost about the same at the moment, low $30s.

I think I need to go drive both in order to form an opinion.

Bruce

So speaking of which, would it be better to purchase a 2007 CTS-V or a 2007 STS-V?

The CTS-V has 400 hp but lots of mods available, and weighs a bit less.

The STS-V has 469 hp, some mods available, weighs a bit more, but has more room and features.

Both have leather, nav, sunroof.

The STS-V only comes with a 6-speed automatic; the CTS-V (in 07) only with a 6-speed manual.

They cost about the same at the moment, low $30s.

I think I need to go drive both in order to form an opinion.

I know you are a lot younger than I am, so this is just my opinion...:D

For a 2nd car...and occasional driver...the manual would be my choice.

If it is going to be a "DAILY" driver...I think I would go with the auto vs the manual.

The manual would get old pretty quick in the Dallas traffic.

I like the idea of more mods for the CTS...I like the "MORE STUFF" on the STS. :D

It would be a hard decision to make.

Depending on how hard you plan on driving it...I remember reading about a pretty fair amount of rear end trouble in CTS.

If your budget allows... you may want to consider a 2009 instead of a 2007.

I have not seen (yet) any reports of rear end trouble in the newer ones.

in summary...

I would dearly love the "V" with a manual...:D...it would be so much fun... but if it was to be my DD...I think I would have to go with the auto...just for practicality.

But it is not "MY" decision.... it is yours. :D

I know that when I go looking for one... it will be an AUTO... 'cause it will be my DD.

Posted Image

If I HAD to pick between an 09 CTS-V at $60K and an 07 CTS-V at $30K and I was paying for it, the $60K is out of the question. So that makes it an easy pick.

I understand the conventional wisdom that a manual in traffic is a problem. I don't sit in bumper to bumper traffic for my daily commute. Also, when I think through the cars I have had that I really loved they were all manual transmission. That said, it is a much easier sell for my Wife if it is an automatic, so I have been leaning toward the STS-V. I would like to wait and look for an 08 STS-V all else equal, because that year adds Heads-up Display.

I really do think the next step is I need to go drive each one though and see if there are some differences that would make me lean one way or the other. On paper both would work great I think.

Bruce

There should be a few 2009's start showing up on dealers lots pretty soon.

They should be substantially less than 60K.

At least thats what I am hoping for before long. :D

Hello All,

I'm Looking at a used 2006 STS-V off lease car with 50K miles @ $25K locally.

One question - Does anyone know the procedure to pull the codes on the Nav Equipped STS-V

Thanks for any info.

I have not heard reports that the 2006-2009 LC3 supercharged Northstars have onboard diagnostics. You may have to bring a reader to plug into the diagnostic port.

Bruce

Hello All,

One question - Does anyone know the procedure to pull the codes on the Nav Equipped STS-V

Thanks for any info.

You can take it to Auto Zone of equivalent, and they can read powertrain codes.

If you want anything more in depth than that, probably need to take it to the dealer where they can use the TECH2 on it or to an independent shop that has a TECH2 and someone that knows how to read it.

Since that is the Supercharged NorthStar... I think I would pay the few bucks to a Cadillac dealer and write down EVERY CODE it had...assuming it has any.

You may be lucky and find one without any codes at all.

My 2006 DTS has no codes...at least not yet.

Posted Image

This ebay 09 CTS-V is at $49.9K and is my favorite color after the show last weekend. They list the car as Gray but the full name is "Thunder Gray Chromaflair" (30U).

ChromaFlair is the registered trademark for a pigment used in paint systems, primarily for automobiles. When the paint is applied, it changes color depending on the light source and viewing angle. It was created by JDS Uniphase Flex Products Group in Santa Rosa, California and is used by DuPont and PPG.

The effect is achieved by interfering with the reflection and refraction of light from the painted object's surface. The paint contains tiny synthetic flakes about one micrometre thick. The flakes are constructed of aluminium coated with glass-like magnesium fluoride embedded in semi-translucent chromium. The aluminium and chrome gives the paint a vibrant metallic sparkle, while the glass-like coating acts like a refracting prism, changing the apparent color of the surface as the observer moves around. Interestingly, ChromaFlair paints contain no conventional absorbing pigments, rather it is a "light interference pigment": the color observed is created entirely by the refractive properties of the flakes (analogous to how people perceive rainbow colors in oil slicks).

Bruce

This ebay 09 CTS-V is at $49.9K and is my favorite color after the show last weekend. They list the car as Gray but the full name is "Thunder Gray Chromaflair" (30U).

The Thunder Gray is a pretty color..."AND" it is a 6 speed manual. :D

Heck... that one is just up the road from you...less than an hour.

Posted Image

Bruce's Ebay Search for V-Series Models nearby: [Click Here]

Warning: can lead to writing large checks.

Bruce

Hello All,

Thanks for any info.

You can take it to Auto Zone of equivalent, and they can read powertrain codes.

If you want anything more in depth than that, probably need to take it to the dealer where they can use the TECH2 on it or to an independent shop that has a TECH2 and someone that knows how to read it.

Since that is the Supercharged NorthStar... I think I would pay the few bucks to a Cadillac dealer and write down EVERY CODE it had...assuming it has any.

You may be lucky and find one without any codes at all.

My 2006 DTS has no codes...at least not yet.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. The selling dealer is a GMC- Buick so I should be able to get a read out from them.

A couple of other questions- Anyone had long term experience with problems/reliability with the 06 Supercharged N*, [Headgasket issues, Trans,etc?] Any one seem any long term road tests?

Body and Electronic issues I assume will be the same as the other Non V series STS

Archived