CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STP gas treatment ad

Guest bbobynski

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Ev...fuel/Tech21.htm

Commercial jet fuel, known as Jet-A, is pure kerosene and has a flashpoint of 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius). It is a high-quality fuel, however, and if it fails the purity and other quality tests for use on jet aircraft, it is sold to other ground-based users with less demanding requirements, like railroad engines. Commercial jet fuel as well as military jet fuel often includes anti-freeze to prevent ice buildup inside the fuel tanks.

The Navy uses JP-5 fuel, which has a much higher flash point.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Well, it's basically kerosene with different flash points depending on the fuel type. (jet 1-a,a,b,jp4,5,8 etc. etc etc.) It's also used in lamps, lighter fluid, and several other things in that arena. Like regular fuels it also has additives (anti knock, anti corrosion, anti oxidants, anti icers.

Anyways, ' jet fuel ' has a WAY higher flash point (temperature at which 'gasoline' produces fumes that can be ignited by an open flame/spark) i believe around 120 degrees F while regular gasoline is about 30 degrees F.

Jet-A is pure kerosene, i'm not sure what the others are .. I know some of the military spec ones (JP-7 i believe) has such a high flash point that you can't even light a bucket of it with a match. I still fail to see how this would help at all in a car designed to run on gasoline. The only advantage would be to increase the octane. Jet fuel has i believe 130 or higher octane rating. While writing this I'm still trying to think of how it could help. Go out and buy a few gallons of jet fuel .. we used to mix it with gas to increase the octane in our cars when we went out racing.

somebody posted a question sometime back about using stp fuel system cleaner in their caddy...i related how when i checked it out at the store and gave it the sniff test, i was amazed that it smelled exactly like kerosene and it looked like it had a little marvel mystery oil thrown in. i must say though, kerosene is a great non corrosive cleaning agent. sounds like more snake oil to me...jackg 90seville 94k

I heard a neat ad on the radio listening to the NASCAR network this afternoon. STP went thru the usual hype about their gas treatment...and then in the ad made the astounding claim that the stuff had to work great in your car because it was made with "jet fuel".... or something to that effect....

Isn't "jet fuel" kerosene....???.....sounds romantic and all to say the stuff has to work in your car because it is made from jet fuel but in reality kerosene isn't of much use for "gas treatment"...or am I missing something. LOL LOL

I need to have some bottles printed "Fuel System Additive" and then fill them with kerosene, diesel fuel, or whatever....and then sell it. :lol: Who knows - I might make a million!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

We once had a late 70's POS Chevy Camero.....V6 and all.....well we gave it to my Uncle who has always been a mechanic...he swaped engines for a Corvette and did a whole bunch of crap to that engine.

He also used Jet Fuel instead of gasoline......my father tells me of one time they were on a long flat road and nearly hit 150-160....mind you that this is in a POS 70's Camero.....they said the chassis was bending and flexing so hard you could here metal noises...........

Oh yea....the jet fuel was the end of that car.

My fuel pump is still working just fine...... ;):lol::P

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I use kerosene in my parts cleaning tank. Works great and is much cheaper than "parts cleaner" but I don't think I'll be dumping any in my tanks soon, dispites what Andy Granatelli (STP) tells me.

Well, that explains the bumper sticker that was on a Z-16 Chevy 4x4 belonging to a contracter at my place last week:

"My truck runs on jet fuel, and eats pavement"...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

My fuel pump is still working just fine......  ;)  :lol:  :P

Keep it up....

When it does take a dump EVERYONE is going to pile on with the "I told you so's..." LOL LOL

If all that is in the STP stuff is kerosene it IS pretty safe for fuel pumps I'd say. Pretty expensive kerosene though for $3 a half pint.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!

I only did it once, just ONCE. I don't plan on doing it again. No more injector cleaner in my car, I promise!!!

Thanks for the warning....LOLOL!!!!!!!! ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I think the only "jet fuel" involved here was what they might have been drinking....LOL LOL

No lies here....just some crazy *smurf* people....once that engine blew.....that car ended up in the forest behind the house for years......eh....i mean forever...still today. HAHA

Archived