CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do they think we're IDIOTS??

WarrenJ

As a new resident in this neighborood, I wasn't sure exactly how to go about finding an auto mechanic. I bit the bullet and simply chose that mechanic nearest my new residence that subscribed to alldata.com. My feeling was that if he subscribed to that service it was likely that he was at least somewhat dedicated to his profession.

OIY! Well, he properly changed the waterpump (without preorthorization), but then proceeded to bill me $79.99 for a "Computer Scan." Additionally, I was billed $59.95 for an "oil dye test."

The "Computer Scan," which I might have conducted, gratis, from my driver's seat revealed that I had a stuck pintel on my EGR valve; BIG NEWS . . . I already knew that.

The stunning news delivered by the oil dye test revealed that my oil drain plug was leaking! $4.00 to replace. Technology at its best!

I protested the $79.99 "Computer Scan" charge as "unorthorized" and got an immediate unchallenged refund. It took a little more persistence to get back HALF of the $59.95 oil dye test charge.

Does this IDIOT think this local neighbor is going to return to him? Recommend him?

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Left rear tire, low on air when I arrived, was nearly flat when I left. Oh yeah, I just can't wait to do bussiness with him again!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

When my mechanic does just a "simple oil change", here's what you're in for:

oil drained, new filter, new fresh oil from the bottles, not pumped from some mystery machine hidden in a sub-basement;

checks the entire undercarriage of the car with a strong light and advises you if he finds ANYTHING, leaks or otherwise; checks your CV boots etc for wear and tear;

if you have a service history with him, will advise you if it's time to rotate your tires and at that time, will inspect your brakes etc and also advise you if you need anything done for the brakes;

checks your tire pressure and inflates to YOUR specifications but if your specs are beyond the tire or car limitations, he'll argue against it otherwise if your specs are OK, he'll use them;

checks ALL fluid levels under the hood and tops off whatever needs topping off; checks your antifreeze solution to make certain it's still working by using a refractometer;

checks all hoses, belts and wipers for wear and tear and advises you if you need something replaced;

He only advises you when he sees something not right, it's your decision if it gets fixed.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Okay, so I'm jealous. I'm also tired . . . the fireworks are over! I'm goin' to bed.

North 'Jersey is a bit far away. If you hear of a mechanic in my neighborhood, lemme know! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yeah Warren, it's always tough finding a good mechanic/ shop to go to. My advice is to start asking people where they take their car in your area. If you have neighbors or co-workers, etc that have well maintained (out of warranty) cars that are similiar to yours then i would definitely ask them.

-kg

207,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Warren, I do think they think we are idiots, the in reality, THEY are the idiots. Wish I could help you with a mechanic on Long Island, I am unable to find a good mechanic either so I do all my own work. I have a good mechanic in Bergen County, NJ but thats too far...

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...they only get one chance to screw up! I continually have bad experiences with mechanics.. Mike

I mean this in the kindest, gentlest, and loving way possible. As we all know, some of us, including me, act like idiots, even though we aren't really, we just kind of lose our common sense in unfamiliar situations. Like, for instance, knowing you need air in your tire, and not being able to air it up yourself or get it aired up somewhere, instead of saying the mechanic thinks you are an idiot for some reason because he didn't add air to your tire(?) I don't know if many folks have to take the car to a mechanic if they have a low tire. I don't. I think Doug, my favorite mechanic, would gladly do it free of course, if I had my car in for something else, and asked him to check the tire pressure in my tires. I do think he'd do it without being asked if he happened to notice one of them looked a bit low. But maybe I missed something here. I think these guys are trying to make a living so they can pay the overhead and stay in business. I also think you should absolutely ask people (at work, at church, your neighbors, people you meet at the grocery store, anybody), for good recommendations and bad recommendations, specially if they have the same kind of car you have. If you get two or three that think one particular guy is honest and fair, then go talk to him before you hire him to do some work. (watch out for the one that has a reputation for being "cheap", because that's not necessarily synonymous with "good" or "honest") I believe you can find a good one with a little effort. Also, some folks think they have to insult the mechanic by presuming and acting they're going to get cheated, when they first take the car in. I'm not a psychologist, but I have been able to figure out that if I treat a stranger like dirt from the moment we meet, then turn around and expect them to give me special care and consideration, then I've kind of placed myself into the idiot image from the start. That usually doesn't have a pleasant outcome. Just some random thoughts. I wish you well.

I mean this in the kindest, gentlest, and loving way possible.  As we all know, some of us, including me, act like idiots, even though we aren't really, we just kind of lose our common sense in unfamiliar situations.  Like, for instance, knowing you need air in your tire, and not being able to air it up yourself or get it aired up somewhere, instead of saying the mechanic thinks you are an idiot for some reason because he didn't add air to your tire(?)  I don't know if many folks have to take the car to a mechanic if they have a low tire.  I don't.  I think Doug, my favorite mechanic, would gladly do it free of course, if I had my car in for something else, and asked him to check the tire pressure in my tires.  I do think he'd do it without being asked if he happened to notice one of them looked a bit low.  But maybe I missed something here.  I think these guys are trying to make a living so they can pay the overhead and stay in business.  I also think you should absolutely ask people (at work, at church, your neighbors, people you meet at the grocery store, anybody), for good recommendations and bad recommendations, specially if they have the same kind of car you have. If you get two or three that think one particular guy is honest and fair, then go talk to him before you hire him to do some work. (watch out for the one that has a reputation for being "cheap", because that's not necessarily synonymous with "good" or "honest") I believe you can find a good one with a little effort.  Also, some folks think they have to insult the mechanic by presuming and acting they're going to get cheated, when they first take the car in.  I'm not a psychologist, but I have been able to figure out that if I treat a stranger like dirt from the moment we meet, then turn around and expect them to give me special care and consideration, then I've kind of placed myself into the idiot image from the start.  That usually doesn't have a pleasant outcome.  Just some random thoughts.  I wish you well.

All I am going to say to this is, while I can appreciate that these guys are tying to make a living and PAY THEIR OVERHEAD, they should be HONEST, COMPETANT, and since they are dealing with the PUBLIC, they should KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THE PUBLIC... This just does not extend to your corner garage mechanic this extends to your local CADDY dealer most of which have HUGE EGOS.

We have gone through this before here, but here is an example. In November I got a LOW REFRIGERANT CODE... SIMPLE huh? Not knowing any cooling system people I took it to my local caddy dealer around the corner. I asked him to exacuate the system and recharge it. SIMPLE huh? As a matter of fact its very simple! His response was, what year is it? I said 1996, he said, you probably need a compressor, it will cost hundreds and you will need to leave the car for a couple of days... WHAT? He did not even LOOK at the car at all, and responded with that CRAP! A discussion with this board and two cans of freon later I was back in action! SIMPLE HUH?!?!?

Here is a good one, my 1991 SEVILLE.... Tranny goes out spontaineaously, and I needed to have it rebuilt.... SIMPLE HUH? I went to my local CADDY dealer ask who does their work, and they recommended, St. Jame's Transmissions.... OK GREAT, I am happy... I go to St. Jame's Transmissions, and tell him I was recommended by King O' Rourke Cadillac. I said I would do the job myself, but I just moved and have too much house work and unpacking to do, I am a fanatic, PLEASE DO A GOOD JOB.... I get the car back, drive it ONE BLOCK, and had to take it back..... 1) the splash shield on the front brake was smashed up against the rotor and scraping... I drive the car, and smell oil burning but can't find it and think its just oil burning off everything.... NOPE, I am driving the car and the OIL LIGHT comes on, 2) the OIL COOLER LINES ARE LEAKING, as they disconnedted them and DID NOT replace the O-rings, and they DENIED disconnecting them at all!!!! DENIED TOTALLY!!!! UNTIL a dragged his *smurf* outside to show him that you can not get the GD bell housing bolts out until you disconnect the GD OIL LINES!!!!! PLUS 3) there was a BELL HOUSING BOLT MISSING, PLUS 4) all the electrical conduit bundles were misrouted across shape edges. Finally a few months later a fusible link burns out and I lose my COOLING FANS, HORN and AC COMPRESSOR why? Because they PINCHED a wire between the TRANNY and the ENGINE!!!! This company was RECOMMENED to my by my LOCAL cadillac dealer!!!!!!!!!! How much SAFER could I get, ASK SOMEONE AT CHURCH???

I am convinced that it is near impossible to find a good mechanic as its all about TIME AND MONEY and virtually NO ONE does the job right anymore. So I do it myself, THAT is the answer as to HOW to get the JOB done right!! Sorry for the RANT, its just how I feel! Mike

Plus, this board is SO VALUABLE in doing it yourself, I could NOT do it without the help of all the talented, experienced and wonderful people here. I still think we need to plan a get together somewhere with or without our cars and see eachother face to face! Mike

GaryG,

Thank you for treating me with such care: you needn't have, however. I'm a big boy . . . I can take it! :D

At my previous residence, 30 miles ago (now a 60 mi. round trip), I enjoyed an auto mechanic who just "did stuff." If I brought my car in for an oil change and he noticed an inexpensive anomaly somewhere, he simply fixed it and added the appropiate amount of $$ on the bill. If he noticed something that amounted to large dollars he consulted me first by phone. Gosh, I'm spoiled!

Now I'm not suggesting he was cheap, but he was reasonable. He was fair. I never left his shop unsatisfied (or with a nearly flat tire). And he always wiped his hand before he took mine. Gosh, I'm spoiled!!!

And, if he noticed a tire was low, he DAMNWELL fixied it!

Gosh, Jee Wiz . . . I'm really spoiled . . . I want my mama!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

At my previous residence, 30 miles ago (now a 60 mi. round trip), I enjoyed an auto mechanic who just "did stuff."

Warren,

In my home country there was a saying:" Tested milk is better than untested yogurt!". A 60 miles roundtrip is well worth a good "tested" mechanic. I drive 90 miles roundtrip just to rent a hoist and some tools from a very desent guy who just allows me to do stuff on my own if I am sure I can handle it, and gives me a hand only when I really need it. Can you believe it - he does it to SAVE me money. Of course I help him too whenever he has problem with computers etc. He NEVER took money from me - only 30 packs of Bush!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

GaryG,

Thank you for treating me with such care: you needn't have, however. I'm a big boy . . . I can take it! :D

At my previous residence, 30 miles ago (now a 60 mi. round trip), I enjoyed an auto mechanic who just "did stuff." If I brought my car in for an oil change and he noticed an inexpensive anomaly somewhere, he simply fixed it and added the appropiate amount of $$ on the bill. If he noticed something that amounted to large dollars he consulted me first by phone. Gosh, I'm spoiled!

Now I'm not suggesting he was cheap, but he was reasonable. He was fair. I never left his shop unsatisfied (or with a nearly flat tire). And he always wiped his hand before he took mine. Gosh, I'm spoiled!!!

And, if he noticed a tire was low, he DAMNWELL fixied it!

Gosh, Jee Wiz . . . I'm really spoiled . . . I want my mama!

Regards,

Warren

That's not being spoiled. The law is clear on such matters, if you take the car in for an oil/filter change and the mechanic finds something else that needs to be done, the mechanic must first give you an estimate for the repairs and then get your approval. If this can be done in person, all the better since you can have it in writing, but, if it's over the phone, take notes and plenty of them including the name of the person you spoke with. Mechanics are not allowed to do any work on your car without your permission.

Sears is a place where they constantly get nailed by the attorney general's office here in New Jersey for doing repairs without the customer's permission. Just imagine going into Sears for an oil change and when you come back to pick up your car an hour later, you are presented with a $1,000 repair bill for anything from replacing all your brakes to G-d knows what. Customers were constantly getting screwed by Sears and the attorney general finally screwed Sears back. :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

New York Law

Automobile Repair Shops

• Motor Vehicle Repair Shop Registration Act

• Vehicle and Traffic Law Article 12-A, §§ 398 - 398j

All motor vehicle repair shops must be registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles (15 NYCRR Part 82). Shops must give a written estimate of the cost of repair service upon request of the customer, and may not charge more than the estimate without the consumer’s permission. The shop is permitted to charge a reasonable fee for the estimate.

No work may be done by a repair shop which has not been authorized by the consumer, either in writing or orally. If the shop prepares a written work order, a copy of the order must be given to the consumer.

All work done by a repair shop must be recorded on an invoice. The invoice must describe all parts supplied and state whether used parts have been supplied, including whether an installed component system is composed of new or used parts. If any body parts are supplied, the invoice must state whether the parts were manufactured as original equipment parts for the vehicle or are non-original replacement parts. A copy of the invoice must be given to the customer and a copy kept on file in the shop.

A repair shop must return all replaced parts, other than those which are subject to a warranty or normally sold on an exchange basis, if the customer has made a written request for those parts before work is begun or has authorized a repair by telephone.

Consumers have 90 days or 3,000 miles after completion of a repair to file a complaint with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If, after investigation, the DMV determines that there has been gross negligence or gross overcharging, a DMV hearing can be held whereby a civil penalty may be imposed or a repair shop’s registration may be suspended or revoked. Restitution to the complainant may be substituted in lieu of any civil penalty or suspension or portion thereof. Restitution is limited to automobile repair-related damages, and/or any amount of overcharge. Neither punitive nor incidental damages may be included.

Note: The requirement to not do any work that has not been authorized by the consumer is also applicable under New Jersey law. And it is likely that most, if not all states have consumer protection laws that are similar to those set forth above.

For further information regarding rights and obligations under New York law, click on the following link: http://www.consumer.state.ny.us/clahm/Clah...m#Car%20Repairs

Plus, this board is SO VALUABLE in doing it yourself, I could NOT do it without the help of all the talented, experienced and wonderful people here. I still think we need to plan a get together somewhere with or without our cars and see eachother face to face! Mike

Beam us up Scotty :)

Plus, this board is SO VALUABLE in doing it yourself, I could NOT do it without the help of all the talented, experienced and wonderful people here.  I still think we need to plan a get together somewhere with or without our cars and see eachother face to face!  Mike

Beam us up Scotty :)

Wish I could! Our get together would be so much easier (with our cars) :lol:

Archived