CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i need a criminal now!!!!

stixboy

alright, so my door locks are already not working properly. you can't just turn the key and the door locks anymore, you have to hold it a little to the left so all the doors unlock.

so i go out this morning, and nothing! couldn't open my doors. i thought it was the door but push the handle and no lights came on. so my battery is dead and i can't get my doors open. i have to travel for thanksgiving tomorrow, perfect timing right. so anybody know any tricks to get in. i'm not good with the hanger in the door thing, someone please help.

Does your car also have a key slot on the passenger side?

I guess you don't have a keyless remote system.

Normally if you can't resolve it one would call a locksmith, but that will cost a bit.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A criminal would probably break the window :rolleyes:

I locked my keys in my trunk at Walmart :lol: and the towing company only charged me 40 bucks to open it. Try calling around and see who's the cheapest.

If you have full coverage insurance, your towing and labor should cover all or most of it, and if you have AAA they could do it too.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

no my car remote stopped working a long time ago. but the battery is dead so the remote wouldn't help anyway. i guess i'll have to get the old coat hanger and put some work in. too close to the holidays and i have no money for a locksmith right now. at least it isn't snowing. wish me luck.

alright guys i finally got the door open. had to jimmy it with a coat hanger. spent about an hour at first trying then i came in and took a look at my manual and figured out where the lock rod was running. took me only 5 minutes after the research. thank god for manuals. when you're out there you're like i'm never going to get this thing. and then you get it and you're like that was a piece of cake. patience seems like the key to everything when it comes to a car. happy thanksgiving to everyone.

oh i forgot to mention, it wasn't the battery, my alternator wire was basically cut in half. must have been in the way of something on the drive belt. but i spliced it and repaired it perfectly. everything came right back on afterwards. now i do need a new remote probably. i had two at one point, neither worked, so i was switching the pieces out of them back and forth, even bought some new batteries but it never worked. probably from me dropping the keys so much in the past. so can i get a new remote, or get the old one fixed somehow? i definitely need a remote now.

oh i forgot to mention, it wasn't the battery, my alternator wire was basically cut in half. must have been in the way of something on the drive belt. but i spliced it and repaired it perfectly. everything came right back on afterwards. now i do need a new remote probably. i had two at one point, neither worked, so i was switching the pieces out of them back and forth, even bought some new batteries but it never worked. probably from me dropping the keys so much in the past. so can i get a new remote, or get the old one fixed somehow? i definitely need a remote now.

I have been looking for a remote to my 97 DeVille but everyone wants close to the new price for them on eBay...

But here is what I found for the '91 DeVille:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-1991-1...sQ5fAccessories

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

oh i forgot to mention, it wasn't the battery, my alternator wire was basically cut in half. must have been in the way of something on the drive belt. but i spliced it and repaired it perfectly. ...

You may already have done it right - I am just adding the following in case you have not or for someone else who might find it useful. I am no electrician, but I believe that I have worked more on electrical systems than the average layman. The alternator produces lots of current ("amps"), so be sure that your repair can also take the current (the alternator on my '97 produces 140 A). Otherwise it could break again or even cause a fire. The gauge of the wire will tell you what current it is designed for - the thicker the wire, the higher the current. "Twisting together + electrical tape" is not a good repair for a thick, high-current wire. There are connectors where you screw down the wires that should work (they need to be big enough for the wires to fit, of course). Perhaps soldering could also be a possibility for a multi-strand wire. In that case I would stick the two ends into each other, intermixing the strands as much as possible. That way you would get double the wire thickness at the junction, which should be at least twice as long as the wire is thick. Then saturate it with solder by warming the junction and adding solder to the copper wires - then it will nicely suck it all in. Use solder wire with built-in flux (cleans the surfaces from oxides to make a clean connection). Use some solder on the tip of the soldering iron to provide good heat transfer to the wires. Before soldering the junction, consider wrapping a single strand of copper around it to keep in all ends of the strands of the wires. You want it to be as tight as possible.

Try e-bay or amazon, got two for my 03' Deville for $30.00 shipped.

Archived