CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas Mileage?

bigfoo

What do you guys get for mileage? Try and be specific like what type of fuel you use (octane, etc.) and any additives, plus what type of driving it is, highway, stop and go, both, etc.

I always use 93 octane.

On the highway for long distances i get 24-26mpg and in the city i've seen 19mpg but usually about 15-18 is the range depending on how I drive.

I did see an increase in mileage every time i put marvel mystery oil in the tank during a fill up i always seem to get 2-3 more mpg (pretty much pays for the MMO and then some)

1999 STS, 78k miles, OHIO, not much change in mileage during winter or summer

1997 SLS, 135k miles, 3.11 final drive.

In town, which is pretty much 4-lane boulevards at speeds of 35-55 mph, we get around 19-20.

On the road, through the mountains of West Virginia, we got 26 mpg one time, which is the one time the car actually matched the EPA's highway rating. Anywhere else, it's between 28-30 mpg.

We only use premium fuel (whatever the octane number is at that station). We use a variety of brands...whatever is the cheapest and most convenient. Absolutely no additives.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

On Long Island, everything is stop and go. There are no 4-lane blvds here...and if there were, they would be bumper to bumper. On the info computer I am recently getting 17.1 per gallon...the highway gets me between 22-25...depending how frisky im feelin! The thing is...when im looking at the instant mileage i usually dont care. I COULD keep the RPM's the same snd get 25-30 instant, but i whomp the gas to pass some weirdo for no reason....so its my own fault!

They only sell 93 octane here...and I only use Mobil, Exxon or Amoco

Currently 24.5. durring the winter it will drop to about 21-22. Mostly highway, 87 octane, no particular brand. I buy from whoever has the best price. I have gotten 30 on a 5 1/2 hr. trip to Northern Wisc. with the cruise set at 70, A/C on.

On Long Island, everything is stop and go. There are no 4-lane blvds here...and if there were, they would be bumper to bumper. On the info computer I am recently getting 17.1 per gallon...the highway gets me between 22-25...depending how frisky im feelin! The thing is...when im looking at the instant mileage i usually dont care. I COULD keep the RPM's the same snd get 25-30 instant, but i whomp the gas to pass some weirdo for no reason....so its my own fault!

They only sell 93 octane here...and I only use Mobil, Exxon or Amoco

I am on Long Island also and I get just about the same results. 17.4 and 23 to 24 on the highway on a trip. Mike

Not bad at all :) The only way I even see close to 30mpg is if I go 40-50mph in a straight line with the cruise control set. Which is rare for me since I am always playing with the gas pdeal :>

Usually Shell, high test always. I get 19 mpg as a steady average, with 21-23 mpg on the 80 mph long hauls. This is with 255/50 tires at 34/32 psi. WOT is common in any case.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I drove t o Newark airport in the night (some 100 miles) and it was 27.3. Shell 89 Mobil 10-30, 29 psi -front, 27 psi- rear. The average speed was 70. I have noticed Shell 89 is particularly good for my car, I did not use Shell before preferring cheaper brands.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

1994 Seville SLS

149,000 miles

First I do not live in a large city. City milage cannot compare with Chicago, LA, NYC etc. I live in the high desert of Southern California.

Highway mileage ---------------30 mpg

Speed average 70 mph ---most of my driving

City(Town)/Hwy (50/50)---------24 -26 mpg

Octane-----------------------------87

Tire Presure (all 4 wheels)-------36 psi

Oil 10W-30 whatever name brand is on sale

Weather--- Always summer here

Rain---------It rained 6 days this year, Next expected rain in December. (I missed 4 or the 6 days, I was out of town)

Vince P

On a long highway haul I can get about 25~27mpg, 24~26mpg with the AC running at 60~70mph. In mixed driving I average about 17mpg and about 15mpg with the AC running at an average speed of about 35~45mph. In straight city, stop/go driving, it drops to about 14mpg with a low of about 12mpg if the AC is running. All tires are inflated to 32psi and they are the standard size 225 60/16. I don't like soft tires, I feel them squirming too much.

I use Delta gas, 93 octane. For some reason, if I use Amoco (BP), Hess or Mobil my average mileages are lower.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

So my brother's family and ours are going to drive to Vegas for a couple days on their US tour. How fast ya wanna go I ask? He saz, heh I'm from Chicago and we drive fast there and on big, wide highways an all. I took another look at his new Dodge van and thought, OK bro, here we go then.... ;)

About 260 miles later we stop for gas and a stretch. It seems he was getting a mite low on the 'ole gas gauge. Another 240 some miles and wer'e in Vegas and gassing up again (and comparing pump numbers this time).

It seems that 500 miles in around 6 hours was a bit more drivin' than what he had in mind. His mileage was below 20 and mine was (again) about 23 or so.

So much for pedaling fast in a V6-van against a full-on Northstar. Hard to beat 23-24 mpg at 82.5 mph average. We even took along a couple of their kids and they enjoyed the comfort, quiet and looking back at their Dad's face in the windshield, trying to keep up from time to time. :D

I use the cheapest 87 octane available around town and mayber 91-93 on the highway, if time is of the essence. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

• 1 year later...

just bought 96 sts 150k miles--drove 1000 hiway miles @62-63--got 25 mpg--computed from actual gas purchases--filled to brim at beginning and at the end---i have had 4 old hi mileage cads, all got above 25 mpg on interstate @60-65 mph--this is my first northstar and i am pleased--i should do better in warm weather--question: i have a bad oxy sensor--i haven't replaced it yet--anyone had experience??

After installing new tires in December (that brought home a 5/5 rating by CR for "rolling resistance) and changing 8 certain parts of the ignition system this month, my mileage has increased a solid 2 mpg, in the city. I'd like to take it on a good road trip to see what it'd get.

I'm getting a solid 21 mpg on the city cycle, and I've been driving it pretty hard, having fun with the new 8 certain parts of the ignition system. :) When I drive it easy for a day, the AVG returns to around 22. I've been very happy with the recent increase.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Wow - how are you guys getting such good mileage. My '98 STS with 100K driven in the city only gets between 13.5-15 mpg on 87 octane. The car runs great - never any engine problems or tune ups for that matter.

I wot a little, but can't imagine what I would have to do to get the high teens you are all getting. Either I'm driving it like I stole it or there's something wrong with my engine. No codes and pass emmission testing with flying colors.

What's your secret?

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Wow - how are you guys getting such good mileage. My '98 STS with 100K driven in the city only gets between 13.5-15 mpg on 87 octane. The car runs great - never any engine problems or tune ups for that matter.

I wot a little, but can't imagine what I would have to do to get the high teens you are all getting. Either I'm driving it like I stole it or there's something wrong with my engine. No codes and pass emmission testing with flying colors.

What's your secret?

Maybe you should try running Premium gas in it, like it was orignially designed for. You will never see the same mpg in the pre-2000 cars running Regular gas, as you will Premium. This is mostly due to the fatc that they were originally intended, and designed to run premium. Running lower grade gasoline isn't gonna up your mileage...and it certainly doesn't help performance either. Try running a few tanks of premium through the car...I bet you'll see a difference.

just bought 96 sts 150k miles--drove 1000 hiway miles @62-63--got 25 mpg--computed from actual gas purchases--filled to brim at beginning and at the end---i have had 4 old hi mileage cads, all got above 25 mpg on interstate @60-65 mph--this is my first northstar and i am pleased--i should do better in warm weather--question: i have a bad oxy sensor--i haven't replaced it yet--anyone had experience??

Happily I haven't experienced a bad O2 sensor, but you surprise me. I would have expected a deterioration in mileage were that the case. Are you sure your sensor is bad? After all, your mileage is admirable. :)

I'm glad to hear your old Caddies bested 25mpg on the road. Obviously, your stable of old Caddies didn't include a '73 Eldorado!

Others will disagree with me (and they HAVE!), but fuel does make a difference (at least in a '95). Shortly before Christmas time I went from 19.5mpg overall to 18.5mpg overnight. At the next fillup I took note of that yellow '10% Ethanol' sticker on the pump. Message received and understood. That 10% ethanol blend will put a crimp in your mileage darn quick. I expect you WILL do better in the warm weather.

Those same "others" will tell you that you won't suffer any mileage difference if you choose to use non-premium fuel. My experience is different. As the saying goes . . . YMMV.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I take a 380 mile trip at least once a month from So. Cal. to Mesa, AZ. I run 75 mph for the first 200 miles, and 80 for the final leg on the AZ side. I get a disappointing 21.7 to 22.1 in my 2001 DTS on these highway trips. My old '97 DeVille did much better, averaging high 24's into the mid 25 mpg range. The mileage always drops in the AZ segment of the trip. No surprize, I guess, but it is amazing that an extra 5 mph can drop the fuel economy by 1 or 2 mpg. I usually use Chevron gas.

No surprize, I guess, but it is amazing that an extra 5 mph can drop the fuel economy by 1 or 2 mpg. I usually use Chevron gas.

No surprise, I'm sure. Aren't vehicles peak tuned for 55mph? And isn't that the target auto manufacturers aim for with laser precision??

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

As many have indicated, it really depends more on how you drive than either speeds or octane or brand of gas.

I notice no difference whether using premium or regular.

I get about the same highway mileage (27-28) whether driving 55, 60, or 70. Over 75 mph it seems to start to make a difference.

Slightly lower mileage using cruise control than keeping the foot steady.

These results are from keeping scrupulous records during two return trips from Toronto to Mexico City. 80% flat-to-rolling countryside, I'd guess.

City driving is another story. Can't keep as accurate records, and the conditions keep changing, depending on which city I'm driving in. Here in Mexico City I average about 17-18 mpg. But have been known to get less when it's stop-&-go, day-in, day-out.

My '99 SLS now has about 125,000 miles on her.

"My worst day riding, is better than my best day working."

1999 Deville Concours - 58K

City - 12-16 mpg

Highway - 21-25 mpg

Here in DC it is nothing but stop-go-stop-go, well actually mostly STOP. When I can get it out on the road, it does perform very well.

Always premium gas.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Archived