CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Questions..

TONYUBALDO

how do i know if i need transmission fluid?????

i had my car on when i checked the dip stick from the transmission and the tip of the dip stick hardly had any transmission fluid...but it reads hot & cold?? did i have to leave the car on for a longer period of time for it show a correct reading????

hello guys,

on tuesday i changed the radiator on my car, changed oil, spark plugs & oil filter. and i also cleaned the throtle body.

after i turned on my car i tried driving it and it felt like it would hesitate to go into gear. i tried going on reverse and the car would go up to abuout 2500 rpm and it would barely start moving back and i would put it on drive and it would do the same thing it felt like i had to step on the gas close to 3000 rmp for the car to move forward.

(when i changed the radiator one of the transmission lien fitting would not fit ont he after market. so i called the place were i got the new radiator from they told me to go in and take the old line. so what the guy did he have me a transmission line that goes to the radiator frm a 2k caddy which it fits the transmission and it fits on my new radiator. the only differene is that its about 2" longer than the one for my car)

any suggestions of what i can do or just add transmission fluid hoping thats my problem.

hi

first check all the fluid level...they have to be ok!

you wrote:

and i also cleaned the throtle body.

is there not longer an idle learning procedure you have to do?

tom

edit:

switch all gears (1,2,3,d,n,r and back) more then one time bevor check the transmissionsfluid

hi

you wrote:

tom

edit:

switch all gears (1,2,3,d,n,r and back) more then one time bevor check the transmissionsfluid

i did check the transmission fluid at operating temperature and the dip stick only had transmission fluid at the tip. the stick is usually marked by cold and hot. but the tip had barely any fluid on it. so i will definetly put more fluid in it and see what happends.

hi

you wrote:

tom

edit:

"is there not longer an idle learning procedure you have to do?"

what did you mean by that??

hi

you wrote:

tom

edit:

it's the "Throttle Body Assembly (TP Sensor Learn Procedure)

at page 6E 443 in 1996 Seville Shop-Manual

1. turn ignition on (not engine running) for 30 sec.

2. turn the ignition off for 30 sec.

thats it

tom

edit: i checked the 1999 seville shop-manual, but did not find the learning procedure in it.........(i have the book since 3 days and not enough time to read it at all!!!) :-)

hi

you wrote:

tom

edit:

it's the "Throttle Body Assembly (TP Sensor Learn Procedure)

at page 6E 443 in 1996 Seville Shop-Manual

1. turn ignition on (not engine running) for 30 sec.

2. turn the ignition off for 30 sec.

thats it

tom

edit: i checked the 1999 seville shop-manual, but did not find the learning procedure in it.........(i have the book since 3 days and not enough time to read it at all!!!) :-)

well yesturday when i got home i checked to see what type of transmission oil it needed to i headed to kragen and bough 3 quarts put 3 of them in, turned the car on and right when i put it on reverse i felt the gear engage. so i checked the fluid and at driving temperature and it seemeds like it was still on the cold side of the dipstick. so today im going to go buy more oil and put more in. ***i just rememebered yesturday that this one time i was driving down the freeway i got the "transmission service * reminder on the car. but it went away so i forgot.. lol

but thanks guys for all your help i guess i just needed tranmission fluid and it wasnt the tranmission that was going bad i was thinking of how i was going to do it or how much i had to pay if the tranmission was out.... lol...

well yesturday when i got home i checked to see what type of transmission oil it needed to i headed to kragen and bough 3 quarts put 3 of them in, turned the car on and right when i put it on reverse i felt the gear engage. so i checked the fluid and at driving temperature and it seemeds like it was still on the cold side of the dipstick. so today im going to go buy more oil and put more in. ***i just rememebered yesturday that this one time i was driving down the freeway i got the "transmission service * reminder on the car. but it went away so i forgot.. lol

but thanks guys for all your help i guess i just needed tranmission fluid and it wasnt the tranmission that was going bad i was thinking of how i was going to do it or how much i had to pay if the tranmission was out.... lol...

If you put 3 quarts of fluid in it and it still needs more, I would look for a leak. I am no mechanic, but that seems very abnormal. At the very least, you need to keep a check on the fluid level regularly.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

If you put 3 quarts of fluid in it and it still needs more, I would look for a leak. I am no mechanic, but that seems very abnormal. At the very least, you need to keep a check on the fluid level regularly.

when i was under the car draining the oil.. i noticed that its wet with oil but not sure if its from the tranny or the motor.

so after shifting gears from (park to gear 1) i checked the dip stick and it still marked where it says cold...... is it supposed to be marked where it says hot?? or how do u measure the oil from transmission???

so after shifting gears from (park to gear 1) i checked the dip stick and it still marked where it says cold...... is it supposed to be marked where it says hot?? or how do u measure the oil from transmission???

Ranger answered your question in the first reply...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

when i was under the car draining the oil.. i noticed that its wet with oil but not sure if its from the tranny or the motor.

(1) Start the engine and let it idle for 5-10minutes until it heats up to the normal operating range.

(2) After the engine heats up, shift the transmission from park and down thru all of the gears and then back to park a couple of times.

(3) With the engine running remove the tran dipstick and wipe it clean.

(4) Reinstall the trans dipstick.

(5) Remove the trans dipstick. The fluid level should read between the (HOT) full and add marks. This is normal.

If the fluid level is below the (HOT) add line, add more fluid. Be careful not to overfill with fluid as this can cause problems as well.

As for the underside of the engine being wet with oil, What color was it? Trans fluid is generally pink or red to light brown. Also, was the residue on the transmission pan? That would be the 1st place to look for an obvious leak.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

3 quarts low? something is up here. car was shifting ok before the radiator job. no huge oil slick under car after job? can't be that low from job. 3 quarts would overfill the system. if you can change the radiator than you have some skills. checking fluid level is not too hard.

Archived