CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 sts r&r engine????

rig_pig

there is a guy here in town who is selling a 96 sts with 200000kms on it for $1000, the catch is the head gaskets ar gone on it, he says it runs and drives, but only for about 15 minutes then shuts off after getting to hot.

he has a short block outta a 98 sts, and im pretty mechanically inclined (as in i have r&red transmissions, and engine on other vehicles bit never a caddy) and has 90xxxkms on it and supposedly "checked and oked by mechanic"

My question is, i dont mind doing the work at all, but is it worth it? and will the heads off a 96 northstar be able to transfer onto a 98 short block? Also will the heads need to be machined or will the new head gaskets be ok with them? what else would i be looking at? or should i be looking at when i go to look at it weither or not if its worth my time.

car is fully loaded with sunroof and all, brand new paint a few months ago only because he wanted to, hes a bodyman by trade.

If i do, do the swap, what else should i do while im in there (sorta like preventative maintenance for the future being that the car has 200000kms on it. He did say that when the car is running it runs amazing. Just like i say preventative maintenance.

Why do you want to put the 96 heads on a 98 Northstar?, to get the correct accessory bolt holes?

When you remove the heads on the 98, you will need to time-sert the 20 head bolt holes before putting the heads back on, otherwise you risk a head gasket breach in short order, see www.timesert.com, or www.northstarperformance.com

Heads dont normally need to be machined, but its prudent to check them for warpage

I am unable to answer the question, Will the 96 heads fit the 98 block, maybe someone knows that answer

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

well no, the 98 engine is just a short block, so block pistons crank, cam all that, no heads or intake or nothing,so im wondering if buying this car, having to take the whole engine out, swaping the heads, intake and all other components is worth it, also what else should i be looking for?

i dont mind doing the work, i like little prijects like this, but i dont know a whole lot with these northstar engines and wondering a few things about them and what else to look for also what preventitve things to do to them while having the engine out, i heard something about the starters i think also the hvac control unit in the engine bay or somethin like that

If I am not mistaken...The 96 STS is a VIN 9

Do you know what if the donor engine is a VIN 9 or a VIN Y?

Since it is just a shortblock, that may not make any difference.

Do you have a Field Service Manual.

If not, it will be imperative that you get one before starting work on it.

No way can you do it properly without the Field Service Manual.

Are you familiar with the "TIMESERT" procedure?

ANY TIME the heads are pulled on a NorthStar, the block must be TIMESERTED.

Also remember that the car with the bad engine, already has 200,000 KN on it and is almost 14 years old.

There could be other issues you are not aware of, or that may crop up anytime after you get the engine done and back in the car.

Do you have space to drop the cradle and then raise the car up and slide it out from underneath?

It can be pulled from the top, but most people agree that it is easier to drop it out from the bottom.

Not trying to discourage you...just wanted to point out some possible pitfalls and expenses you may not have factored in to the TOTAL PRICE.

Posted Image

ya i totally agree and as i was saying thats why im on here wondering what preventive maintaince i should do, such as stuff that may start to go at 200000km's, like common problems and such.

i dont have the manual, but would deffintilly be getting if i got the car.

what sorta presidure is done to take the engine out from under the car? i may be able to do it. Is there a link at all that i might be able to go to, to read up on how someone has takin it out from under the car?

also im not affraid of a challenge you know what i mean, not to mention im very mechanically inclined myself as well as alot of my friends

96-97 motors are basically identical. if you think about it, the 96 shortblock is actually the same as the 98 shortblock. both need to be timeserted now that the headbolts have been removed. if you could have found a longblock with good headgaskets/bolts than you could have swapped that out as is. but should you timesert a known good used motor before you install it? thats a good question. if you go thru the trouble to pull your motor, why not just timesert it and skip finding a good used motor.

Its funny, I have been considering, finding a 97 engine for my 96, timeserting and doing the case half seals in my garage, then just do the swap... Seems to be a better idea, then to have my car tied up for an extended period of time.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived