CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1988 Cadillac Sloppy tilt steering

HI folks, new to the forum, glad it exists! I have an 88 Cadillac Sedan Deville with telescoping tilt steering. I noticed that the steering wheel was very loose and sloppy. Bought a manual and sure enough it discusses the problem and the solution. You have to strip the steering column down to its tilt assembly and tighten 4 screws with loctite. Did all that and i am now reassembling. Got to the part where i need to depress the lock plate so i can put a circlip in. Discovered that the lock plate depressing tool I rented from Auto Zone does not work now because the circlip also holds the telescoping column in place too!

SO how am I to depress the lock plate so i can finish the job?

Help!

Thanks for any and all help.

• 2 weeks later...

HI folks, new to the forum, glad it exists! I have an 88 Cadillac Sedan Deville with telescoping tilt steering. I noticed that the steering wheel was very loose and sloppy. Bought a manual and sure enough it discusses the problem and the solution. You have to strip the steering column down to its tilt assembly and tighten 4 screws with loctite. Did all that and i am now reassembling. Got to the part where i need to depress the lock plate so i can put a circlip in. Discovered that the lock plate depressing tool I rented from Auto Zone does not work now because the circlip also holds the telescoping column in place too!

SO how am I to depress the lock plate so i can finish the job?

Help!

Thanks for any and all help.

How did you compress the lock plate in order to remove the circlip during the teardown? The reassembly method should be the same.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 10 years later...

The shaft screws over the stud.

The u clamp slides over shaft.

The nut goes over shaft.

The U clamp pushes down on the lock plate.

For reassembly

drop lock clip onto stud

screw shaft onto stud

rest is the same, once plate is down push the lock clip down into place. Slowly back the nut off and the lock plate will be retained by the clip

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 months later...

I have a custom made screw in put in where the telescoping adjuster goes. Tighten it down and the shaft stays put. You can make one out of a threaded rod, and put a slot in it for a flat head screw driver. Tool goes right over the top of it. It's only about an inch long.